1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

basses are too different

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ajak, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Ajak

Ajak

My question is kinda about effects as well as about basses and pickups, but since the core is about a pedal I thought I'd best post it here.

I play in a band where I use two basses, one in E standard/drop D (d'tuner) and one in D standard. The E-standard bass is a Squier P-Bass special and I recently got a Warwick Rockbass Vampyre that I tune to D-standard.
    These basses sound pretty different (by the way I use a ODB-3 for overdrive). I absolutely love the Squier (only neck pickup) with the ODB-3. It's exactly the sound I want for this band. It's got a lot of nice mids and the ODB-3 makes it pretty fat without making it too bass heavy. The Vampyre however has a lot more lows to begin with and less mids. I don't wanna say it sounds bad but it's not the sound I'm looking for for this band.
    So I'm thinking about getting a Tonebone Bassbone. I'd let the Squier go through without changing the sound and I'd tweak the Vampyre's channel a bit. I'm not trying to make them sound the same but a little closer would be nice.

Can the Bassbone do that? Unfortunately I can't try the pedal out and I'd have to order one from germany. Or would I be better off with another pedal (maybe a Para EQ?)? Or even another bass or changing pickups?

Thanks in advance

2. Lobomov

Lobomov

I don't really get the problem. If the squier has the sound you're looking for, then play that ?

(Unless the rockbass sounds better without the OD, in which case I get it, but have no advice to offer, since I don't use pedals myself and my instinct is just to play without the OD)

3. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

First rule of determining a purchase: Have you played it? You absolutely MUST try it out for real before you make your purchase.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Personally I'd look at replacing the bass, but that's me. I guess you had reasons other than the sound when you chose that particular bass.

The ParaEQ gives you lots of tone shaping, and you can match the levels too, so you'll likely be able get close in sound. But it's a bunch of money so if it's a better choice than a different bass only you can say.

I've not used the Bassbone so I have no opinion on that pedal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nev375

Nev375

He needs two basses because he uses different tunings.

This is not even a rule,let alone the first. I'd wager a very significant percentage of us here buy things (especially pedals) without trying them first. The reason being that many pedal makers products just aren't sold in that many stores. You DO need to do your research, and check sound clips first.

Still, i'll give you that trying before you buy is the best option, if possible. Although it's never been possible for me.

7. Lobomov

Lobomov

Do'h ... my mistake .. , but then it's easy imo .. get rid of the rockbass and get a second squier.

8. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Have you tried cutting the bass and treble on the rockbass to bring out the mids?

if not, I would think that a simple EQ pedal could solve the problem, off for the squier, on for the rockbass. Look into mooer, Boss, etc.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    A simple EQ pedal might be all you need. Something like a MXR 6 band is a good choice and only $69 new.

A Bassbone would work but they are expensive and super big/heavy... And overkill unless you need the DI and other features.

Personally I use a Radial PB1 Power booster as my P has a much lower output than my Fodera. It is a great clean boost, but no EQ. Likely not a good fit for you.

10. Ajak

Ajak

Yes I need two basses because of the tunings. I thought about getting another Squier but the thing is that I doubt that it's going to last very long. The one that I have now (about 5 years old) needs to be set up pretty often (truss rod) and I feel that it's getting worse. I don't think that it will last very long. I tried out the Fender one and it's sounds great, but then again it sounds different. Could it be that it's an active bass? Would I be happier with passive ones if I like the Squier better? Not sure whether it's that or the pickups that make the change.

Playing it before buying isn't possible since I can't find it in the stores. I checked it out on youtube but there's no comparison between two different basses.

But in general I see you'd recommend a EQ (para or not) over the Bassbone? I just saw that the ParaEQ would even be cheaper than the Bassbone.

11. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

An active bass will never sound like a passive bass in my opinion.

12. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I sense that your problem is not about EQ or output level and with this in mind a Bassbone won't fix your issue. I suspect that it is simply a question of matching your bass with your pedal. Some combinations sound great some don't sound good. The very best pedal you can imagine might does not sound good with a great bass. They have to match. Strings can have a big impact too. That's why you need to try a bunch of different pedals to find one that works for your sonic chain. There is no rule on what works with what so trial is the only way to go at this.

13. bassbrad

bassbrad

Personally I would find a fuzz pedal that works with the Warwick bass, might even give you a cool new sound with the Squier bass,

14. Ajak

Ajak

I'm not really into fuzz, but the idea of using different drive pedals is interesting. The VT Bass might bring the Vampyre closer to the Squier/ODB-3 tone. If not I got an excuse to buy more pedals. :D Thanks for that idea! We'll be moving into a new room soon so I don't know when I'll be able to try it out.
    Thanks folks.
    Otherwise I'll maybe look into getting another passive bass.

15. Ajak

Ajak

The VT Bass didn't make my Vampyre sound the way I wanted. Has just a different kind of drive (sounds like it distorts in lower frequencies than the ODB-3 if that description makes any sense). Also a blend knob would have been needed. I also noticed that the quier had a much warmer sound than the vampyre.
    So I'll try the ParaEQ next and then maybe a B7K if it didn't help. They're nice pedals to have anyway...^^
    Then I'd go for another bass.

16. behndy

behndy

lol WAT.

i buy like 70% of the gear i own sight unseen. so much of the things i'm interested aren't available at a hands-on local store.

that's just silly.

you're SILLY.

17. shenanigans

shenanigans

FYPFY

I agree with finding another bass that will suit your sound better. It doesn't need to be another Squier, but there are other inexpensive basses that will get you a similar sound profile. Warwick isn't that IMO.

If you can get hold of an inexpensive eq, you may be able to test the possibility of changing the Warwick sound with that.

18. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I haven't used the Bassbone, but I think you're on the right track with the idea of having a pedal on hand that can compensate for the differences in the basses' tones -- whether it's a full-on preamp pedal, or something like an EQ or a dirt pedal that has some EQ options.

My main bass is a Carvin LB70 that has plenty of mids and highs, but I sometimes pull out a Gibson Flying V that is super hot and has tons of bass. However, I have a booster pedal (Blackeye Effects Palmetto Boost) that adds a dose of treble/brightness, so when I plug in the Flying V I kick on the boost to add some brightness but drop the volume knob to even out the volume difference. An EQ or preamp would probably get the tones closer, but this way I don't have to add a separate pedal just for this purpose.