1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Basses for bassists with back issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

I'll list the ones I've seen recommended over and over again, but I am interested in what lightweight options are out there and I want this thread to be more of a reference for other players that are having issues. I have had back issues since I was involved in a bus accident about 14 years ago. I ended up wearing a neck brace for about 3 weeks and never thought about it again. Recently, my back has been hurting non stop almost every day. Playing bass further aggrevates this and while I haven't weighed my current main player, I would guess its around 10 lbs.

So, some basses that have been recommended previously:
    Yamaha RBX A2
    Fender Aerodyne
    Hofner or other Beatle bass

You can't tell me that everyone with back issues plays these three basses exclusively so what else have you all been playing?

UNITE!
  2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

Turner Renaissance RB-4
  3. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988 Supporting Member

I have lightweight basses from:

Sadowsky - mine are 8-8.5 lbs
    Nordstrand - mine's just under 8 lbs
    Alleva Coppolo - I asked for around 8 lbs (still on order)
    Stambaugh - about 8.5 lbs
    Kallas - I asked around 8 lbs... I paid a premium for a lightweight body

There are tons of other manufacturers / luthiers who make lightweight basses if you ask them.

You could also look into a double crossing strap, so both your shoulders carry weight.
  4. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988 Supporting Member

If you go semi-acoustic or Steinberger you could find even lighter.

As for solidbody basses, see my post above. I know of a Sadowsky of a tad above 7.5 lbs.
  5. matthewfoote

matthewfoote

how about a Rob Allen. They are light weight, look fantastic and play like a dream. You can get fretted and fretless and I have seen 5 strings, not sure about 6 strings.

Regards

Matthew
  6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor

The new chambered body option on the Carvin SB400-5000 model. I tried one out...it was like holding air in your hands!
  7. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    Squier CV60 p bass have basswood body and are light
  8. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

My back savers are: Sadowsky NYC 5 string- 7.0 lbs
    Rob Allen Mouse fretless-5.5 lbs
    I prefer the Sadowsky over any heavy bass, even when my back feels good.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Just for a different spin, maybe think outside of the bass guitar on a strap box. Barker Bass or EUB.
  10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

11. ksandvik

ksandvik

Most basswood bass guitars are light, G&L SB-2 Tributes, Fenders/Squiers manufactured in Asia...

Otherwise, me thinks anyone with a back problem should have a daily yoga/core strength routine of at least 10 minutes or more. Means you avoid future problems. Loosing weight helps a lot, too.
  12. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

For me, it was upper-back/shoulder issues that were aggravated by reach much more than weight... My Palatino set a bit lower than optimal kept me going on upright, while my Longhorn basically saved my band situation for several months... A few months of accupuncture finally alleviated the pain and got me fully back into the game...

-robert
  13. rhett

rhett Supporting Member

+1
    drinking plenty of water and cutting back on or eliminating toxins (caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, sugar) makes a huge difference too.
  14. onestring

onestring

A Dano DC bass is full scale, cheap, sounds great, and is super light. Mine weighs in at 6lb, 5oz.
  15. troy mcclure

troy mcclure

Fender P Lyte is 7 lbs
  16. handofseven

handofseven Supporting Member

I've found EBMM Sterling basses to be quite light... Makes sense with their smaller sized headstock and body...

I think early '80's Ibanez Roadstar basses are also quite light... So much so, that I'm thinking about ways to actually add weight to mine!
  17. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

How about a chambered body from Wormoth?

I have a swamp ash bodied (mighty might) P bass that I assembled from parts that I use in 3rd sets a lot because it is light.

I have a fixture at L5-S1 that gets pretty stiff by the 3rd set.

I also use a Comfort strap!
  18. jeep floyd

jeep floyd

19. panda88888

panda88888 Supporting Member

If scale length is not a concern, you can always try the Beatle violin bass. It's probably as light as you can get.
  20. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Parker Fly or Steinberger