1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Basses Similar to Modulus (Q5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Montana Jim, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Due to the uncertainty of the Modulus Company, I'm seriously considering keeping my Modulus Q5 at home - except for serious gigs... I would be heart-broken if it ever broke, and replacement parts were nonexistent. With that being said, I'm considering getting another bass, but I would love to get another one that sounds similar to a Modulus.
    Any suggestions?
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Geoff Gould or Graphite Guitar Systems would probably be the closest.
  3. styro

styro Supporting Member

4. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

Geoff started Modulus Graphite back in the 80's and his current basses are favorites of mine.

I've owned Quantum's / Q5's and prefer the slightly wider fingerboard of the Gould's.

Geoff's latest version of his graphite necks are nice and thin with a slick, satin finish.

In fact, if I do happen upon a cheap-enough Quantum, I'd like to put one of Geoff's necks on it just to have a P-type / Gould hybrid (now where did my lotto scratchers go...) :D

I attached a pic of one of my newest members to my stable (nicknamed "Bullseye" after the horse in Toy Story) below.

coco2.jpg
  5. Espresto

Espresto

If you want a cheaper option a Peavey G-V might get you somewhere in the neighborhood. If you have more to spend, Geoff Gould is probably your best option for something in the spirit of a Modulus.
  6. StephenR

StephenR

Not surprised to see that you were the one who bought this G. Gould... I was tempted too.

Agree about the neck width thing. The one regret I have about my neck-through Quantum 5 is that the neck now seems way too narrow to me. I love the neck width and profile of my G. Gould that has a wood neck. None of the Quantums I have played felt as comfortable to me as the neck on my Gould but I would still like one with a wider neck.

I have only played one graphite-necked G. Gould and didn't like the neck profile as much as my wooden one but the bass sounded and played great. He is also making some real light weight basses these days. Highly recommended.
  7. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

happy new year sir!

yeah, couldn't resist the coco-top. plus when i heard it with bartolini's, was floored. never been a fan of barts but this combo works for me. i have a couple of gould's at sf guitarworks being retrofitted with barts and getting fretwork.

was planning on moving away from graphite but the new necks with the satin finish, to quote the godfather, "pulled me back in".

it's a bit sad with modulus filing for chapter 7 a couple of weeks ago. nice that we still have geoff and jerry at GGS to still offer basses with graphite necks (along with the other usual suspects - zon/status/clover/etc.).