1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Basses That Should Be Banished

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrYellow, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrYellow

MrYellow

Sometimes I walk into a bass shop or look in their catalog and find basses that just really bug me, maybe because they sound awful or because they might as well be a Fender P-Bass with someone else's logo on it. This can annoy me so much to the point I think they just shouldn't be, call it an exaggeration, but that is what this thread is about. What Bass(es) do you think should be discontinued? whether it be because of tonal issues, looks or an overall failure to function.

I have to make a submission, and while it took some thinking I would have to say the Gibson SG bass, to me, it seems to have so little to offer, aesthetically it's as pleasing a paint-by-numbers manure pile and lacks in versatility, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I like mine the most.
  2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

You've read the rule about 'ugly bass threads', right?
  3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Mr. Sparkle will banish your basses to the Land of Ghosts and Winds.
  4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I do think that there are double standards in these here waters. So many people here are ready to bash certain manufacturers for ripping of someone else's design (esp a certain german 'B' word), but to clone a boutique effects pedal into a tiny enslosure or copy a famous bass guitar design and stick a Rondo transfer on the headstock is absolutely fine and should be encouraged.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

6. MrYellow

MrYellow

It's a never-ending story and while just about everything about basses is subjective, I've often looked back at the choices I've made gear-wise and think " What was the logic behind that?"
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I look at certain designs / features and say "....well, that was almost a good idea".

We shall not banish any basses. We should, however, shun (got that from the Amish) any TBers who acquire any bass with known / documented design flaws or irreparable defects then post a thread complaining about the same.

Riis
  8. MrYellow

MrYellow

I like the way you think, 'shun' seems a little less harsh.
    Looking at the new RockBass StarBass gave me that 'almost a good idea' feeling, but I'm someone would say otherwise.
    So thank god we got as many different designs/features/sounds as you could want
  9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

What do you want to do, send certain basses to the Island of the Misfit Toys? Rudolph would be quite disappointed to hear this. Every toy deserves a home.

Seriously, why the need to bash any basses? I've heard some great music from people playing Gibson SG basses.
  10. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I think that the MothMan bass should be banished. How many more people have to get hurt before somebody does something!
  11. Jefff

Jefff

Jack Bruce did ok on an EB.
  12. spaz21387

spaz21387

the j bass!!!
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

All Fenders, RICs, Spectors, Sadowskys and Foderas are yucky and should be buried to never be seen again.

There. That should p!$$ off about 90% of all TBers.:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.