1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Basses you GASed for, but have no interest in now?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Feb 1, 2013.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I remember when I first started playing, I really wanted a Kubicki X factor, Warwick Katana, and Warwick Vampyre.

I prolly wouldnt play them even if I own them now.

2. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    I've always loved the tone and look of Stringray's. The first one I ever saw was watching Jon Berry (Rufio's old bass player) and ever since then I have always wanted one...

But every time I play one I HATE it for some reason. Then some time goes by and I want a Stringray again...

I think if I had a chance to play a properly set-up (IE not at Guitar Center) SR5 HS I would have to have it. I hear their B's are nice and tight and the 1.75 string spacing seems like it would be nice, compared to Fender/Squier 5's.

Edit: BTW nice name. GO C's!

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Stingrays can vary differently in terms of sound. You will notice a difference between 2 and 3band rays. And even amongst the same type, I can tell different tonalities between individual rays. Tone is subjective, you should play till you find one you like.

I have played a HH, and it sounded kinda dull compared to a regular H. I have no idea if it is a one-off.

To be honest, I dont think that the stingrays are the most beautiful basses but they have definitely got one of the best playing necks. And I like the fact that they have 1 fret more than normal fenders.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Boutique basses in general. After about a grand, used, it's just too much diminishing return for me. Now, there are a few for which I'd fork out, but it's from maybe three or four builders. If that?

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Yea and Music Man Sterlings have two more frets and a thinner neck than the Stingray.

Or the Stingray Slo Special...Stingray with a Sterling neck profile. Pure awesomeness.

As to the original question...I'd probably say a Spector Doug Wimbish and a Warwick Thumb. And any Ampeg amp.

7. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    I used to really want a Peavey Grind. Last time I picked one up it was so much heavier and didnt sounds near as good as I remembered.

8. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    Well it doesn't help that deep down I am a passive P bass kind of guy. Everytime I play my Jazz (5er) I get about halfway through a song before I am thinking, "Ya I should have just tuned the P down and used it for this instead." or something along those lines.

I think I am going to look into getting a Fender AS P5 or Lakland 55-64 Skyline in the near future and that will solve pretty much all of my GAS as I will essentially have "the" bass that I can use for practically everything (that I play at least).

But GAS is funny sometimes... I find myself wanting basses/amps/cabs/pedals that I KNOW I don't need/want out of the blue for some reason...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    Groom Lake, NV
    Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Back in the early '70s, I thought it'd be cool to have a blue Rickenbacker. Forty years gives wisdom.

10. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Umm...I used to like a lot the looks of ESP F basses. When I finally had the chance to test one, it sounded like crap.

Then I GAS-ed for a Warwick Thumb for years. I've sold all my basses and ordered one. Turned out to be...not my dream bass.

I still love Vampyres visually, but I wouldn't play a Warwick ever again, so...

Yeah, it takes time to understand not everything you like actually works for you, but eventually you have to accept the reality :)

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Took you forty years to figure out you wanted a black one?

12. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    No way... He definitely went with the Mapleglo.

13. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I wanted a blue Rick too. I still wouldn't turn one down, but I sure as hell don't want to buy one

14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    When I first started playing, all I wanted was a Jackson(yes, I really dug the pointy headstocks...:bag:). The model that had the piezos and no magnetic p/up was the coolest bass I'd ever seen, at that time. I still LOVE 80's metal, but now you'd hafta pay me to play a Jackson, and even then it'd only be the $3k Dave Ellefson model, and even then I'd still think twice before I went onstage with it.

To be fair though, my guitarist has a couple of Jackson guitars and they sound phenomenal!

I kinda feel that way about real Steinbergers...I'd love to own one, but I'd probably never play it, unless we do that 80's party band spinoff that we're talking about...:D

15. Ever since I was 13, I wanted a custom Warwick thumb 5. On my 29th birthday I ordered one. 8 weeks later I got it and lo and behold, it's the best thing that's happened to me. Wait... Crap.... Does this mean I can't play in this thread anymore? :)

16. I thought i wanted a rick - until i played one. Not for me!

I still dig the looks, and have thought about getting one of the cheap chinese bolt-on copies. Just for laughs.

17. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    Just about anything I wanted when I started playing as a teenager, Jacksons, Kramers, BC Rich. I wanted something sleek and pointy, like in the videos. Instead I was stuck with a Gibson Ripper. I thought it was ugly and that the body was shaped like the Great Gazoo's head.

Interestingly enough, the ones I didn't like in my early years are now my favorites. Like that Ripper, Stingrays. I used to think j-basses were hideous and now I own 4.

18. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I thought I wanted a SS but ended
    up selling every one I ever had,

Tabdog

19. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I used to really want a Rick, till a good friend bought one. He went to Europe for 3 weeks and let me borrow it. Although they're beautiful, I no longer have any desire at all to own one.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I was going to have a couple twins made. Both multi lam bodies and 9 piece necks and neck through.
    Now I would only use bolt on , one piece bodies and one piece necks plus fingerboard.

What has remained is that I still like passive , one pickup basses.

21. A Rick and a Status Buzzard Bass