1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Basses you've played with very little fret buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

I've noticed that some basses are far worse than others, I know setup/technique is a big part of it but some makes seem to suffer from it more than others.

I don't want to bash any brands, I wanted to know which basses you've owned which are the best?

For me: Sandberg JM4 California and Modulus VJ4

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    IMO, this is *entirely* setup and technique, outside of a lemon that warps beyond what a setup can fix, or poorly finished fretwork.

3. Discharge

Discharge

Im not so sure, i'll post some vids tomorrow when I get chance of pros playing with fret buzz.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Some people are more accepting of fret buzz.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Never said, not intended to imply that it's always a bad thing. Some people do seek it out, and if so, there's techniques and setups that can achieve that for you, again I feel on most any bass.

7. Guinness20

Guinness20

OR... just by these. They're pretty decent.

Attached Files:

8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Aria made in Japan,Peavey made in USA,crafted in USA.
    Properly set up Rickenbacker comes close.
    I can set them so low that I can hardly play them,got them set at 3 mm at 12th fret strings not held down,suppose that,s quiet high but I like it about there.

9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

I've had to lower the action on my fender and musicman basses below spec because i needed more fret buzz.

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

+1

That said, there are quality differences among brands/builders. But even inexpensive basses can be set up well, and even expensive basses can be set up badly.

11. gleneg61

gleneg61

My ibanez 505 & 506, Warwick Thumb b/o 5 & dinky Jazz with an Eden neck have insanely mega low action, just the way I like it, n almost no buzzes anywhere. I do play with a very light touch tho, a la Gary Willis but slapping a bit hard can produce more buzz. Great necks on these basses so no GAS for me.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320

Billy Sheehan's beasts can hold pretty low action with close to none fretbuzz, even if slammin' down strings like a hammer

I'm no him, but I jealously keep my Attitudes home for I'm a real hardhitter, yet they're so forgivin' with my thunder touch

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1

I like a little buzz so I dial it in on most on my basses, but it's just as easy to dial it out and still have low action.

14. pedroims

pedroims

I have owned around 40 basses from a cheap Yamaha that I paid $90 to Sadowsky NYC. I have been able to set up all of them ( G 1/16, E 3/32) without fret buzz.

You need to set up your basses according to your technique, you need to know what is the action that your fretting hand likes the best and adjust your plucking hand to that. I see it as a balance between fretting hand, plucking hand and string tension.

15. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

If u are talking about as low as possible without fret buzz its gotta be EBMM.

NONE of my fenders can get as low of an action as my stingrays without buzz. And trust me, I have owned more than afew fenders.

16. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I don't know why one would want to play a fretted bass without hearing the frets but that's just me. Fretless basses have very little fret buzz. ;)

17. Wallace320

Wallace320

and with action close to absolute zero if adoptin' hard flats;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

This

19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

I have a $90 bass, a $900 bass and a $1900 bass. All have low action and no fret buzz.

A proper setup and fret dress are all it takes. It's not rocket science...but it is geometry. Unless the neck is broken a bass should be able, with a setup, to play as well as you would like.

20. Old Fart

Old Fart

Don't assume that pros use basses that are perfectly set up. Some do. Some don't. Seriously. Some don't care all that much, unless the action is terrible. Unskilled bassists need low action (arguably) more than skilled ones.

21. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    You can play much faster with low action. Any bass can achieve low action as long as the frets are level and the neck is straight.