Bassic 15, which woofer?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by George Mann, Dec 5, 2013.

1. George Mann

George Mann

My quest for the perfect lightweight do-it-all cabinet has led me to the Bassic 15.

As a 4-string "vintage" player who uses flatwounds religiously, and who's bass will rarely if ever utter a peep above 600Hz, I am wondering which of the 2 available woofers is going to cut thru the mix the best.

Also, what is the maximum amount of power that this cab can realistically hand?
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    After trying the Eminence 3015 in more than one cab,I opted for the 4 ohm Faital, mainly because I read reviews that it closely can ape the JBL K140 tone. Sadly, it does not do that in my opinion. However, it does get in the neighborhood somewhat, and I am pleased with the tone of it. I use it exclusively in a low to medium volume, old school Blues band, and, as a stand alone, it does the job. Have'nt really gigged it that much, and I 'm still deciding what small, lightweight head works best, but, compared to the 3015, the Faital is closer to " the sound in my head " . If you think you might need to add another 115, then get the 8 ohm version. I'm not gonna run more than 500-600 watts into it.
  3. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I've had one of each, side by side to compare. I really do love them both, but I'll try to run down some observations.

Power handling is similar. Technically (if memory serves), the 3015 will take slightly more power, but the Faital is more sensitive, so at moderate volume, it's a wash really.

The 3015 sounds a bit more 'modern' to me, but not in a bad way. It's also slightly more immediate...a bit more impact and 'smack.'

The Faital is smoother and more 'classic' sounding like the great old JBLs and EV's, yet they go lower and louder. The Faital is smoother from top to bottom, where the 3015 has a bit of a low mid bump as well as a 1.5k bump. Some folks prefer that low mid bump, so there's that to consider.

What I recommend depends on each players application. For myself, I favor the Faital, but I mainly do old school kinda stuff...country, blues, rockabilly and a little punk rock.

I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with either, honestly :)
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I love the 3015. Per the above, a bit more going on up top, and nice power handling. I would say around 400 watts is perfect, if you can find a head that puts that out at 8ohms.

One of my favorite specs (3105 non LF) in a nicely tuned box. Small, punchy, decent low end, lightweight, warm with a touch of 'crunch' to it up top.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I have a Bassic15 with the 8ohm Faital. I absolutely love it! The wide frequency response is awesome... Never feel like I miss a tweeter. And I feel I can eq and sound out of it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386284921.915036.jpg
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'd be quite happy with the FaitalPro also. NICE! Sharp looking box also!
  8. George Mann

George Mann

Well, I do prefer a clean, articulate sound that leans toward warm, with no mud or boomyness. The Faital then, or a cab with smaller drivers (size and weight are important)?

Is there a place in Colorado where I can hear one of these?
  9. jnewmark

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I think we are all assuming that you are talking about the Greenboy Bassic 15 ? If so, you have to have one built for you by an authorized builder. If there is one in your area ( check the fEARless Forum for a list ), he might have one for you to listen to with your amp.
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You won't have an issue with these 15's. Driver size doesn't mean much these days regarding tonality. Both these 15's are relatively tight, punchy, warm, and bright enough up top that you will hear some nice grind if you dig in. Hard to not like these, whether you get an LDS build, a Greenboy build or whatever.
  11. George Mann

George Mann

Yes.

I understand. What I would like to know is which builders make the lightest ones, and provides the best value for the money?
  12. MostlyBass

The Faital will do what you want and more.
  13. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Using that criterion, I'd suggest the 3015.
  14. George Mann

George Mann

Does this driver have any tendency toward beaming or glassyness in its usable frequency range? and if so, where does it occur?

BTW, do you have anymore info on your new 26lb 12" 2-way?
  15. MostlyBass

Don Barry built mine and it's 32lbs.
  16. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder

I recently did two in Arauco and managed to stay below 30 lbs with no compromises. The one Don built must've been Baltic Birch? Okoume would be even lighter, but really, it's a pretty small box so there's no extreme weight benefits/penalties using any of the 3 materials mentioned, IMO. Okoume is pretty expensive. BB or Arauco are the most affordable
  17. George Mann

George Mann

18. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Dukeorock's comparison of the Faital 15PR400 with the Eminence 3015 (non-LF) is right on the money, imo. I leaned towards the 3015 solely on the basis of what I think would be a bit better cut-through-the-mix-ability - but remember I'm not actually a bass player, so my opinon is based on working with the two as a cab designer.

If I understand what you mean by "glassyness", no. But beaming, yes, although not as bad as piston theory would lead you to believe. I'd say that by 1.5 kHz, the 3015 is effectively beaming. But that rise in response in the 1-2 kHz region helps to offset the reduced energy to the sides that we get because of beaming.

The Hathor 1203 will have a 14" square footprint, and a height of 18". I traded off some low-end extension in favor of small size, but it still models -3 dB at the first overtone of low B. Uses a single 3012LF and a 3" Faital mid, with the mid in an open-format chamber that allows some of the backwave energy to exit the top and sides, making it easier to hear the overtones if you're virtually on top of the cab on a tight stage. Did I cover what you wanted to know?

Frankly a I think a midless, tweetless cab will give you more bang for your buck, as well as all the dispersion you need, if you really aren't looking for anything north of 600 Hz.
  19. jnewmark

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    With all due respect, Duke, I have to disagree, at least a little. I have tried both, in the same setting ( low volume, Blues band, we do some Professor Longhair ! ), and the Faital, 4 ohm, sounds a little more prominent, not only when I'm standing next to it, but also out in the house. The guitar player, who stands on the opposite side of the stage, also said I sounded a little more " clearer ". Now, this might be set and setting, to coin a '60's phrase, but the Faital seems to cut through a tad better. It's kind of perplexing to me because of all the comments to the opposite, comparing the two drivers, but I always found the 3015 to sound more " creamy " and smooth, than what I'm hearing from the Faital, with the same amps ( Th500, and Shuttle 6.2 ). Then again, what the hell do I know ? :D
  20. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

I had a 3015 LDS cab. Small and light. I was using an Eden head, passive jazz bass and I could not get rid of the 1.5K mid bump that driver has. Also it did not have as much low end that I hoped for. Sold it. The 4 ohm Faital LDS build with my Walkabout is my next rig.
  21. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

JohnK not sure of the spelling, has some nice sound clips of these drivers for a side by side comparison. Use good cans and you can hear the sonic differences.