1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bassic/Dually tone out of an F115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by husky123, Jan 1, 2014.

1. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Hey guys,

I'm contemplating another cab build and really like the design of the fEarless F115...especially the wedge feature. My pickle is that I really, really love the tone out of my 3015 equipped Bassic and Dually cabs. They really just do it for me with their tight and punchy low end combined we the nice spike in the upper mids. I'm not a big fan of tweeters and know that the F115 runs one.

My question is do you think I'll be able to get a similar old school tone (low and high roll off, hair on the notes) with a F115? My rig that I'd probably be coupling with it would be a Tech 21 VTRM and power amp setup but also probably my Tone Hammer 350 and GK MB800.

Can you get the F115 without a tweeter or at least an attenuator or is that defeating the purpose of the design? Thanks for any input fellas.

Edit: Just after I posted I began to think maybe I just want/need to wedge 115? Maybe I need to contact Don at LDS....
  2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Answered your own question! Be sure to post the pix of your new wedge 3015! :bassist:
  3. husky123

Disclosures:
    Haha, yeah maybe I did. :)
  4. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

As you know Husky, I own a Faital loaded Dually and also have an F115.

They are not the same animal. Both phenomenal cabs but different tools in their own right.
  5. husky123

Disclosures:
    Thanks Zoomie, yeah, reality is starting to set in. I thought maybe if I high pass filter it, EQ it just right maybe I can get it in the same tone family but it is probably trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. I emailed Don last night so hopefully he'll get back to me soon.
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

From my experiance with a slew of greenboy cabs, you can make the F115 sound like you want. But, you need the eq to do it.
  7. husky123

Disclosures:
    So you're saying there's a chance...:D
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I get a sweet thumpy old school tone with a PF-500 and my fEARful cabs. The Eq isnt stupid powerful on the amp, but if you turn the right knobs the right way, it works.
  9. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    All F115's come standard with an attenuator for the tweet, and of course you have the option for no tweet at all. You'd still need to roll off deep lows, add a little in the mid bass and roll off above say 2k a bit to approximate the sound of a 3015 loaded Bassic/Dually. It'll still be a slightly different thing, but for me it can sound pretty old school if that's what you want it to do. :)
  10. husky123

Disclosures:
    Thanks fellas!