1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bassist turned guitarist, now looking to get my bass chops back, where to start?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SammieWammie, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SammieWammie

SammieWammie

Electric bass was my first instrument, after a few years I slowly started turning more and more towards guitar. Right now I'm a student / jazz guitarist looking to get my bass chops up to a similar level as my guitar chops (for gigging mostly - good bassists are always in demand).

Genres of music I play are jazz first and foremost, followed by funk, R&B, soul, fusion... some rock, pop and acoustic possibly. Essentially anything other than metal and country I enjoy and play/would play. Sorry metal/country fans, just my preference.

I'm almost at a loss of where to start getting back into bass playing. My bass specific vocabulary is somewhat lacking now, and that I think is the biggest problem - causing me to pick up my bass and think "now what...?".

To start off with I'm going to work on walking bass - I've got a couple books of transcribed walking bass lines that I'm going to work through.

Also technique. A lot of guitar technique is applicable on bass so my left hand is fine but I was thinking of getting bass specific right hand techniques down again (slap bass mostly). My normal two finger right hand walking thing (you know what I mean) is still at a perfectly usable level... old habits die hard.

From then on however, I have no idea where to go, so if anybody can offer some useful help, it will be much appreciated! :)
  2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Play double bass.

There's nothing that reframes my perspective as a bassist more effectively than playing double bass, especially as a jazz player.
  3. SammieWammie

SammieWammie

I forgot to mention double. I'm currently looking for one to hire as well.
  4. Bass Mentor

Bass Mentor

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Lava Cable, E&O Mari, Rupert Neve Designs
    I would also add that bass guitar is another type of fingering pattern than guitar-- your primary fingers used should be 124. using that and the thumb pivot will help your tone and produce a much better comfort level....

Steve
    stevebryantbassguitar.com
  5. SammieWammie

SammieWammie

What do you mean by thumb pivot?