Bassist turned guitarist, now looking to get my bass chops back, where to start?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SammieWammie, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SammieWammie

SammieWammie

Electric bass was my first instrument, after a few years I slowly started turning more and more towards guitar. Right now I'm a student / jazz guitarist looking to get my bass chops up to a similar level as my guitar chops (for gigging mostly - good bassists are always in demand).

Genres of music I play are jazz first and foremost, followed by funk, R&B, soul, fusion... some rock, pop and acoustic possibly. Essentially anything other than metal and country I enjoy and play/would play. Sorry metal/country fans, just my preference.

I'm almost at a loss of where to start getting back into bass playing. My bass specific vocabulary is somewhat lacking now, and that I think is the biggest problem - causing me to pick up my bass and think "now what...?".

To start off with I'm going to work on walking bass - I've got a couple books of transcribed walking bass lines that I'm going to work through.

Also technique. A lot of guitar technique is applicable on bass so my left hand is fine but I was thinking of getting bass specific right hand techniques down again (slap bass mostly). My normal two finger right hand walking thing (you know what I mean) is still at a perfectly usable level... old habits die hard.

From then on however, I have no idea where to go, so if anybody can offer some useful help, it will be much appreciated! :)

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Play double bass.

There's nothing that reframes my perspective as a bassist more effectively than playing double bass, especially as a jazz player.

3. SammieWammie

SammieWammie

I forgot to mention double. I'm currently looking for one to hire as well.

4. Bass Mentor

Bass Mentor

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Lava Cable, E&O Mari, Rupert Neve Designs
    I would also add that bass guitar is another type of fingering pattern than guitar-- your primary fingers used should be 124. using that and the thumb pivot will help your tone and produce a much better comfort level....

Steve
    stevebryantbassguitar.com

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SammieWammie

SammieWammie

What do you mean by thumb pivot?