Bassist who also play trombone.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by matt.dahms, Jan 19, 2014.

1. matt.dahms

matt.dahms Supporting Member

Hey guys,

The first musical instrument I ever learned to play (and become proficient at) was the Trombone. After several years on the trombone I ended up picking up the bass guitar.

Over the last 14+ years of being a bass player, I've ran into several other bassist who were also trombone players...so I figured I need to start a thread and find out how many other bassist on TB also play trombone!

Questions to consider:

-What kind of horn do you play?

-Which did you start out playing first, Bass or Trombone?

-How has playing the trombone helped in your development as a musician on the bass? and vice versa.

-Are there any similarities between the bass and trombone that attracted you to them?

Rules for the thread:

-I'm primarily looking for bassist who play trombone, but I will accept other members of the low brass: baritone, tube, etc...(I don't want this to become a multi-intrumentalist thread) sorry flutes.

Cheers!

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Tuba.

Tuba (Sousaphone) came about a year before I picked up the bass guitar.

Most of my early development as a musician came from the years of piano lessons my parents made me take. Now I wish I would've stuck with it.

I've always liked being the bottom of the band. All through high school, college, and my short career in the Air Force Band I played tuba and bass guitar in every ensemble I could, marching band, concert band, pep band, bar band, pit orchestra, etc. I even played bass clarinet in a clarinet quartet in college.

I've played several other instruments over the years (trombone, baritone, trumpet, flute, clarinet, upright bass) but these days it's primarily bass guitar, plus I strum a few chords on my acoustic guitar. In fact, I'm doing an acoustic guitar/vocal solo gig tomorrow. I often play bass or acoustic guitar in church too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. elgecko

elgecko

I played bone all through school and into college when I switched to bass. I haven't touched once since. Sometimes, I think about picking up a P-bone.

4. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Aw yeah.
    Played the trombone for about 5 years before I picked up my first bass.
    Still bust that bad boy out every once in a while...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ayce

Ayce

I played (or tried to play) trombone in H.S. long before I picked up the bass. Even tried to play parts of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. I think that was what led to bass though, especially fretless.

7. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Started playing trombone when I was 9. First horn was a King 606. All modesty aside, I got pretty good at it. Played in jazz ensembles, went to competitions, played in state honors bands. At one point in high school, I played in symphonic wind ensemble, concert band, both jazz bands, marching band, and pep bands for all sports. I also played in a regional drum/bugle corps band for awhile, too (though, that was on baritone/tenor cornet, because the band was all valve instruments).

When college came, I decided to go to Ohio State. I was under the impression that The Best Damn Band In The Land was comprised of all music majors, and I wasn't going to be one, so I didn't bother to audition. (Big mistake. I was way off base, and feel that knowing what I know now, I'd have gotten a spot and really enjoyed it). My last horn was a King 4B, which I sold to buy a Marshall 1/2-stack.

I started playing guitar and taking lessons when I was 14, but didn't pick up bass until I was 19. Once I picked up my first bass, I thought back on all the guitar lessons and all the trombone playing and realized that bass was the instrument for me, and that my musical experiences up to that point had gone a long way in leading me to it.

I definitely feel like trombone and guitar made me the bassist that I am today. I feel like understanding the role of low brass in large ensembles gave me a good foundation for understanding the role of bass in a band, and that guitar gave the the theoretical knowledge and understanding to know how to be the bridge between the drums and the guitars on stage.

I've been a pro/semi-pro bassist for 15 years now, and I feel I owe it all to my start on trombone as a kid, then picking up guitar as a teenager.

8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I started playing trumpet when i was 8 years old. Played through high school. Still have a nice Bach and a Yamaha. I've only pulled them out and played them a couple times in the last 14 years though. All my time these days goes into bass and keys, i also have a guitar but rarely play it. The only thing i use the guitar for is writing music.