1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bassists as Producers

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by moncho, Jul 15, 2013.

1. moncho

moncho

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Aguilar, Fender
    Just curious as I am also a music producer/bassist...
    what do you think it is about bassists in particular that seems to makes us want to produce other artists? Do you think it has alot to do with the role we take on within our bands/projects? Alot of bass players tend to be the 'glue' so to speak and I wonder if the natural desire to take on that role is somewhat connected to producing. Many of my favorite producers are bassists- and vice versa. I'm sure you've been asked this a billion times so forgive me...I have a TON of respect for your playing AND your production work so I just wanted to get your take on it.
    Thank you...
    Matt
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Thank you, Matt.

I've definitely spoken about this before at length, but simply put it's definitely the "glue" thing. It's being at the intersection of several roads, unlike anyone else in the traditionally assigned roles.

J
  3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    I've always noticed that bassists make great producers from the mere fact that we, by nature, tend to look at overall compositions from the inside out by the mere fact of our contextual function.
  4. moncho

moncho

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Aguilar, Fender
    JMJ Thanks for the reply- makes total sense to me. And BTW Vegas532 dig your profile. We def have similar tastes in gear etc etc. Appreciate your answer too. I always joke w the guitarists in my band and that I work with in the studio that bassists make better producers because we are usually the guy in the band that actually listens to what EVERYONE is playing, not just ourselves.;)
  5. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I've stated this perspective frequently before. But just to articulate it succinctly, bass is unique in that it exists at the lowest common denominator (to use a math analogy) of all three of the main elements of music: melody, harmony & rhythm. :meh:

Therefore being a skilled & knowledgeable bassist does indeed equip one with some important basic tools to also function well as a skilled & knowledgeable producer.

MM