1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bassist's happiness - a short story

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Moogerbass, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Moogerbass

Moogerbass

Dear all,

I've been a long time reader of this magnificent forum and a bass player for over 20 years.

Just want to make a small contribution...

Tonight my wife gave me the Golden Earring - Live form the Twilight Zone DVD containing a concert of their homing coming from an US tour in 1984.
    I remember to this very day this concert being televised on Dutch television. Of course I was only 8 years old at the time so after a lot of whining the parents of a friend of mine who had the only VCR in town (!!) agreed to tape it so I could watch it the day after.
    I only got to watch it once, 'cause video tapes were expensive and they only had one tape.

It was only a few months before watching this concert I when I got hooked on rock and especially on Golden Earring's bassist Rinus Gerritsen. Their 'When The Lady Smiles' single got to number one in the Dutch charts and they put on the video clip. My dad immediately turned up the volume to max. 'Listen to this son!' :bassist:

I was shocked, mesmerized and in full awe. What a sound! What a great song! What a movie! What a bunch of cool guys!

Please note: this is a very graphic clip by 1984's standards and therefore banned in the US at the time.

Dutch television only had two channels at the time (and both state sponsored) so I had to wait a week before I could see the video again. Luckily radio (also state sponsored :rollno: ) played the song a lot so I could listen to it quite often.

After saving up my allowance I got the 45 RPM of 'When The Lady Smiles' and on my birthday I was given the album 'NEWS'. Literally night and day I was listening to both of them. Treble tuned down and bass on full boost and little Moogerbass was in heaven.

In the following years I collected all info on Rinus Gerritsen and bass playing in general until buying my first bass at the age of 15. Hooked ever since. :hyper:

Fast forward tot 2012:

This week I landed a gig with a prog metal band who's last album got raving reviews in the international press.

Recording sessions for the new album are coming up.

A small acoustic tour starts in March.

European tour (as an opening act) is planned for this fall.

Plans are made for a US tour, also as an opening act.

I am offered an endorsement with a well-know guitar brand (which I unfortunately do not like - at all :crying:)

Today I received all legal papers of the above in the mail.

I visited an old friend who is working at a mom and pop music store and, on my own dime, I ordered 3 new bass guitars for the upcoming events: a fiver, an acoustic and a fretless. All USA Fenders. (note: these brick and mortar guys are hurting right now. Please support them, unless you want your town to turn in corporate franchise galore).

I haven't been so proud of myself this since the birth of my girls. Or my marriage. Or getting my PhD. At 37 years of age I finally get to be a rock star :smug::smug:

Now...it's time to watch 'When The Lady Smiles' again :cool:

Cheers!
  2. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

That's an awesome video, thanks for the share!
  3. Top_Ten

Top_Ten Supporting Member

I saw Golden Earring on that tour, I think. Or maybe it was 1983. They were opening for Rush on the Signals tour. I totally remember the neon rings in the bass drums, just like in that video!
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've always liked Golden Earring and saw them with Aerosmith in 1979. Great show.

Interesting that this video was banned in the US yet Devo's video for "Whip It" was allowed.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman

I saw Rush in December of 1978, and Golden Earring was the opening band.

Loved it! This was the Hemispheres tour.
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Saw Golden Earring when Radar Love had just hit it big. The thing I remember about that show was when they turn down the lights at the beginning of the show, the drummer had one of those clear ludwig vista light kits with the double bass drums, inside the kick drums were yellowish/gold neon rings, looked cool as hell in the dark. As I recall the band was quite good as well. This must have been the early 70's sometime.
  7. rms2

rms2 Supporting Member

Great story moogerbass! Listening to Golden Earring brings back a lot of memories. And who is your new Prog band? Do you guys have a website? Please keep us updated on your recording sessions and tour, I want to hear your music.
  8. Moogerbass

Moogerbass

Thanks for the reply guys - and all the comments on the Earring. Cool that a lot of people actually saw them in the US at the time.
    They still do 50+ shows a year in The Netherlands to this very day so I saw them about 100 times.

Here's part 1 of the aforementioned Live form the Twilight Zone DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJ4uimPPf8

Also I am curious if anybody went to a concert on the 1977 US tour. They had just added Dutch blues guitar legend Eelco Gelling to the band.

Listen to Eelco wailing away on this track.

Also note Rinus playing his Longhorn. Imho THE sound of Earring bass, until his Longhorn got stolen.

Earring released the Live double album in 1977 which is the single best live album ever by any Dutch band, featuring 10 minutes versions of both Eight Miles High and Radar Love.

@rms2 I would love to tell you all about it, but there's an official press release to be send out in January.
  9. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Congratulations on the gig, and thanks for sharing your story. I saw Golden Earring at a festival in France about 20 years ago. I knew nothing about them (except "Radar love" of course) and I thought they were a great live band.

The first time I left Australia was to tour Europe with a band, and it was a truly amazing experience. I would wish you luck, but there's no need - I know you'll have a blast.

Best wishes,
    MarkM

P.S. I'm still trying to work out why that video was banned.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Congrats Moogerbass! You hit it big.
    Radar Love was one of my favorite tunes, I was a radar technician
    for many years. Couldn't help but dig it.
    LOL with the tours.
    Now you will have to tell us the name of the band you're in.
  11. Big Dog Johnson

Big Dog Johnson

What a wonderful story Moogerbass! Now it´s Harvest time!
    You know, opportunity only knocks once... :)
    Congratulations to Your new band. Wish You the best of success!