Bassists who are lefties who play righty club.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I do most everything with my left hand (writing, eating, ect). I can do a lot of things with both hands, ambidextrous (decently, but I'm better with my left). The only thing I do right handed only is throw a ball.

I play bass right handed though, but I think its because when I was trying out basses I never tried a left handed bass.

Who else is left handed but plays bass righty?

2. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Well you are in the same club with Michael Anthony who is lefty and plays right.

3. franck3d

franck3d

I'm right there with you!
    and when I played drums, I played right handed (hi-hat to the left of the snare)
    for some reason I never really considered getting a left hand bass.

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I'm in. Write, eat throw, etc left-handed but have always played right. Just felt natural since left hand on the fretboard does most of the work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. artdrtr

artdrtr Supporting Member

Interesting, then righties should play "left handed" instruments so their right hand is on the fret board...

7. notdavey

notdavey

My brothers (and sisters) of the south paw! I am a lefty and have always played right handed. Only reasoning was my brother was right handed, played bass and handed me down my first bass.

Only real advantage I think it had for me was that it helped to avoid the issue a lot of beginners have fretting notes on bass (oh the strings are so hard to press down).

8. mediumswing

mediumswing

i am in the club too
    the reason is that at the beginning i had no my own instrument and i had to take a friend's bass.

9. bassbrad

bassbrad

Lefty plays righty that's me too, damn glad of it too. When i started playing out I played both ways but my Mom and a bunch of talented guitar teachers convinced me to play righty. Really helped a few years later when I played string bass in orchestra.

10. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I don't think this thread has ever been done before! I'm in!!

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Yeah my "musician" friends are shocked when I write stuff down (as reminders for songs or something) and I use my left hand because I play a righty bass.

12. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

And Mark King.

13. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - crafter of XBass cables
    I'm also one - I do most everything righty for normality sake, I'm somewhat ambidextrous (I oil paint the left hand of a canvas lefty and the right side righty), bat and throw right because I was taught that way, However, I write lefty and eat lefty... when I'm alone. :bag:

I think it's an advantage to have the 'working hand' be the better one.

14. Mike M.

Mike M.

Maybe this should be a seperate thread, but I wonder are there any right handers who play left handed?

You know, maybe someone out there who's dad or brother was left handed, had and played a left handed bass and you wanted to learn so you learned to play on thier bass as they did.

15. derJackal

derJackal

16. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

I'm in. Write, eat, throw left handed. Play bass righty. Just like Duff McKagan

17. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

I'm in. learned on a righty because there were no lefty basses to be found where i lived.

CBB

18. bassman1987

bassman1987

That's me! I write and eat left handed but play the bass right handed. It's always made sense to me to have my dominant hand be my fretting hand.

19. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I'm somewhat ambidextrous, but mostly lefty. My first bass was given to me and was right handed. As a new bassist, it felt foreign to me anyway so I just went with it and am glad I did ... there's a much better availability of good instruments (@ typically lower prices) and it's easier to learn parts from (mostly) right handed guitarists and bassists. You're also more likely to be able to do an impromptu sit in (if invited) @ a performance you didn't bring your bass to. I still play "air bass" left handed, though. ;^)

20. B.C.

B.C.

Disclosures:
    Lead Designer: Redline Electronics
    I'm in. Naturally left handed. Though I do write with my right hand(a consequence of having a teacher keep putting the pencil in my right hand as a kid, explains my terrible handwritting :)) though I play righty. Glad I did sense there is no such thing as a left string bass. :)

21. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

thats me! im completely left handed except that i play right handed... i actually picked up a left handed bass a couple of years ago after i had been playing right handed for 15 years and it felt exactly like the first time i ever played a bass... i wonder if it would have mattered which way i played....