Bassists who exercise..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mcglyph, Nov 16, 2012.

Bassist, how do you feel about exercise??

Poll closed Nov 30, 2012.
  1. A great idea if I could bring myself to drop this corndog

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. A great idea when I get time.

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. I'm a be exercising till I'm dead

31 vote(s)
    62.0%
  4. Exercise is what happened in Poltergeist!

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mcglyph

mcglyph

Media:
    Hello. I'm wondering how much time TB'ers spend working out with their bass, versus actually working out. How many of you are in the, "exercise is for others" vs, "I wanna do it, and don't", vs "I'm a exercise till I'm a dead". Like me, I'm a exercise till I"m dead kind of guy. I also wonder what the percentage of bassists is who work out regularly(however quantified) and are also very good at their instrument. I've only been playing a year, would say I'm very dedicated, and thus a decent bassist. What say you TB?

Enjoy your day.

2. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

I run about 4 times a week, sometimes 6 depending on weather and ailments. I live in the Northeast. Running takes precedence over bass practice, but not gigs (obviously). I am 44 and have been playing since 1985 so the basics are there! I am more of a cardio guy.

I don't see why you can't have both; I like to run in the early hours, work and then practice at night before or after dinner. It really helps me unwind. Good luck to you!

3. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

I walk a couple of hours a day or more (a couple of hours before work and a couple of hours after work) and practice at least 1-2 hours a day, not counting lessons and rehearsals - 7 days a week. I also hit the gym for Zumba, weights, or yoga a couple of times a week. I really hate the walking and the gym, but I hate feeling like a slug more, so I do it.

4. stratovani

stratovani

I hate to run. All it does is get me sweaty and tired. My joints hurt, my feet hurt, my lungs hurt. Mornings are for sleeping in and going to work. I don't mind taking a little walk now and then, but running? No way! :spit:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carl h.

carl h.

Family obligations and rehearsal/gigging keeps me from getting out as much as I'd like. When I do get out, it is road biking and rollerblading. I try to ride at least 20 miles on days when I don't have much time and if my son isn't at preschool I push him on a jogging stroller an average of 8 miles blading.

I get at least a 1 mile walk every day, but try to do more when I can.

7. tplyons

tplyons

I don't even have time to play bass, let alone exercise. Full time career with travel plus part time MBA doesn't leave me much spare time.

8. DirtySix

DirtySix

I fall into the 3rd category. I powerlift/olympic lift. I do that for my training at my MMA gym which i do wrestling and Brazilian jiu jitsu. I'm also teach a boxing class at the YMCA and I'm about to become a personal trainer there too. I found that my coordination and playing stamina went way up when i started lifting. I'm 32 soon and have never felt better in my life minus the occasional black eye or knee to the face hahah.

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

I run for about 45 min. every morning. I shed for about 20 to 30 hours a week! :eek:

10. preside

preside

eliptical (sp?), free weights, Mountain Biking and yoga style stretching almost every night it's something. Bass practice about 1 hr at least 5 days a week. 4 hr gig every Sunday afternoon.

11. IPA

IPA

Did a little lifestyle change a few months back, been working out every day since. Weight training, started running, still suck at it but I go out and attempt to hoof it almost every day. Still pretty fat. I'm not a busy person so there's no excuse to not do it.

12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I *NEED* to get my chunky ass exercising! My life has become far too sedentary. Desk job, admitted laziness, and a fiance genetically built to be all sorts of hot and thin naturally, without any exercise or dietary restrictions, has me plumping up nicely. :atoz:

13. bassteban

bassteban

I ride my MTB for 1 1/2 hrs as often as I can. Ends up 2-5x a week. Been playing off & on for 35 yrs, fairly seriously the past ten.

14. nutso42

nutso42

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

- Redd Foxx

15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I'm no bassist but I exercise.

16. DirtySix

DirtySix

Nothing wrong with feeling strong. If i don't keep in shape then my back and knee problems come back and i live in pain. Simple as that. We are all going to go one day It's the only thing we can all count on.

17. nutso42

nutso42

Didn't say there was. Just thought it was a funny quote.

18. DirtySix

DirtySix

It's all good i was just making a point that it doesn't always have to do with being health freak. :)

19. mcglyph

mcglyph

Media:
    At 44, for sure my body feels better when it get's pushed around a tennis court, up a hill, or along a trail. To all, I also do yoga, and cannot recommend at least the Sun Salutation series, highly enough. It is fantastic to read of all you motivated, active respondees so far.

20. mcglyph

mcglyph

Media:
    Start either slowly or quick. Either way, start. Decide what specific part of the day you have, note it, then bring it consistently in that time frame. I suggest the sun salutation series. Gets you going on flexibility, and if you work some warrior 1 and 2 in, begins to strengthen your legs. Best.

21. mcglyph

mcglyph

Media:
    Good for you! Every little bit helps.