Bassists who use distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hieronymous, Mar 29, 2004.

1. hieronymous

hieronymous

(Been wanting to post this for a while, searched and didn't find anything quite like it...)

Some of my favorite tracks with distorted bass:

1. "Motorhead" by Motorhead - live version on "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith"
    Lemmy Kilmister - completely over the top!!! I also love the solo on "Stay Clean" from "Overkill", as well as the title track

2. "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath - first Black Sabbath album
    Geezer Butler - love that midrangey tone, especially coming out of the loopy wahwah bass solo

3. "De Futura" by Magma - studio version from "Udu Wudu"
    Jannick Top - crazed 18 minute bass and drum workout

4. "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part II" by King Crimson - live version on "USA"
    John Wetton - this is my favorite Wetton sound, also "Asbury Park". Come to think of it, the "Red" album has some great sounds too...

5. "Kobah" by Magma - on Live/Hhai
    Bernard Paganotti - slightly obscure entry, from one of the most accessible Magma albums

6. "Sunshine of Your Love" by Jimi Hendrix - live version on "Live at Winterland"
    Noel Redding - for some reason this track holds special memories for me - maybe the sound of Marshalls farting out from too much abuse!

Of course, this list isn't exhaustive, I might think of more.
    Feel free to post your own faves!

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Well, I might as well not even pretend this isn't coming....

Most of anything by Ben Folds 5, especially off of self-titled.
    Robert Sledge took a mix of rock styles, the sensiblity of jazz player and then ran it all through a Big Muff. Their early "Punk rock for p**sies" approach to their sound left a lot of room for him to take his style and run with it.

Great examples, "Uncle Walter", "Jackson Cannery", "Julianne", "Underground", "Kate", and "Army" to name a few.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

I believe Cliff Burton used distortion and wah on Anastesia-Pulling Teeth.

4. Metallideth

Metallideth

cliff burton (R.I.P)

used his big muff and wah for tons of sonigs on kill em al and all of his solos.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hieronymous

hieronymous

Good call!

Also on "Orion" from "Master of Puppets"? I always assumed the fade-in intro was distorted bass, though it sounds almost like a Hammond organ. And the bass solo too, if I remember correctly! (Haven't owned a copy of that in a while...)

7. Metallideth

Metallideth

orionsbegging was a sytheseized effect. im pretty sure orion had just a slight amount of wah

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Thought of another one!

"Ivixor B" by Electric Wizard, from "come my fanatics..." - killer distortion and wah by Tim Bagshaw. Uses distortion and effects (especially on "Dopethrone"), but this track stands out in my head.

9. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

Timmy C (RATM, Audioslave)

He runs 2 amps and has one clean and one distorted and sometimes runs both distorted or both clean...just listen to "Wake Up" on the self titled album...But he uses this setup during almost all guitar solo's...especially live...gives the effect that theres a second guitar.....

Les Claypool

Jerry Was a Racecar Driver...and alot of Primus's songs actually......

IMO Cliff Burton wasn't really that Good/inspirational/Ground Breaking.......Like, what was the big Hype? IMO Jason was much Better and Trujillo the next level? it was a pity that metallica didn't let Claypool join....i spose he would of shown the rest of the band up though :D :p

10. hieronymous

hieronymous

How could I forget?!! One of my favorites, because it has both distortion and 8-string bass (a Kramer):

"My School" by Galactic Cowboys, from the first album - Monty Colvin on bass!!!

He talks about recording bass with distortion at http://www.12stringbass.net/

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

DUH!!! DOUG PINNICK - King's X!!! Another I can't believe I forgot... :eek:

If I have to pick a favorite track, it'd be "Junior's Gone Wild" from the "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" soundtrack.

12. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Well.... there are some that would disagree with you on that one. Myself being one of them. I think that Les Claypool might not be the bass guru that he is now if he had to deal with someone else's vision. I mean, he went on to do Primus. Primus is his band doing his music. I guess I might come down hard on the idea too because reserving a few songs, I have little respect for Metallica. It might have something to do with my lack of exposure to them, but I can only think of a few songs that I can say I enjoy of their's.

13. thebug

thebug

Peter Steele of Type O Negative uses distortion a lot.....

14. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

but what made him great? thats what i wanna know...everyone says he's this great bassist and they can't seem to back it up....someone said to me that the orion solo is the best bass solo they've ever heard...its just 4th's 5th's and octaves for christs sake..not very hard...he can play fast....so what?...who wants to hear someone play fast when they cant play slow?

he's pretty average if you ask me

15. supermonkey

supermonkey

Good call on Cliff. He had a classic distorted sound. Glad to hear Wetton mentioned too -- he had a really nasty grind to his sound that I've been obsessed with since hearing Lark's Tongues and USA for the first time. :bassist:

How 'bout:
    Billy Sheehan
    John Entiwistle
    Tony Levin (on several Crimson records)
    Mike Rutherford (check out "Lamb Lies Down...")
    Jack Bruce
    Tim Bogert
    Colin Greenwood

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Dirk Lance of Incubus on Calogne and Deep Inside

17. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Colin Greenwood of Radiohead:
    Myxomatosis
    National Anthem
    Exit Music (for a film)

Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys:
    Gratitude

Any tune by Godflesh...!

Dave Edwarson of Neurosis:
    Lost
    Cold Ascending
    The last You'll know

Alex

18. The Mock Turtle Regulator

The Mock Turtle Regulator

Simon Gallup (the Cure)- screw, fascination street, at night
    plus various live versions

JJ Burnel (the Stranglers)- his sound from 1977 to around 1980 had a lot of distortion in it- peaches, nice n'sleazy, toiler on the sea, genetix etc.

19. oddity_uk

oddity_uk

Chris Wolstenholme from Muse... especially Bliss and Hyper Music... great bass sound :)

Steven

20. growlngrind

growlngrind

One of the coolest I heard was Noel Redding during the "Sunshine of Your Love" instrumental on the Jimmy Hendrix- Live at Winterland album.

If you guys want to hear Les Claypool playing thrash-metal, find a copy of Blind Illusion's "The Sane Assylum". It is pretty cool, but I would never trade Les with Primus for anything. I love the intro to "John the Fisherman" with distortion and whammy! "Wynonas Big Brown Beaver" is another great example of Claypool with overdrive.

I just picked up a copy of Suicidal Tendencies "Art of Rebellion", hopefully there will be some cool distorted bass from RT on that one!

21. BassGod

BassGod

In 'The Call of Ktulu' by Metallica there is some good distortion and wah.

~Graeme :bassist: