Bassists with the style of Andy Rourke

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yachoob, Feb 12, 2014.

1. yachoob

yachoob

I've been playing bass for just over a year now so I'm still fairly new to it, but of all the bands that I've learn't the tabs of Any Rourke is by far the best, anyone know any bassists that are somewhat like his style?
    For those who don't know I'd describe it as melodic, low-end and quite funky in some regards.
    Thanks. :)

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Mike Mills - R.E.M.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    Colin Moulding of XTC - his tone isn't as strident as Rourke's but his lines are always clever and melodic. Any bassist playing this style most likely listened to and emulated a lot of Paul McCartney as well.

4. yachoob

yachoob

I know a bit of Mccartney but I've never checked out the R.E.M bassist. Thanks guys.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

7. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

8. Milk

Milk

Good question. The thing is, before The Smiths he was doing funk. It might have something to do with his style even if i wouldnt say he has clear funk influences.... My favorite bassline of his is probably this charming man (incidentally, also probably my favorite Marr guitar line, i learned both he bass line an guitar line and it made me appreciate even more how genius this song is)

Honestly, while i have not heard every REM record, i dont find mike mills to have a similar style.

One thing for sure, it's absolutely criminal that Andy Rourke does NOT make ANY money off any Smiths song (neither does Mike Joyce). Morrissey is a total twat, and musically ignorant (not surprising, hes never bothered learning to play anything) to claim it could just have been any bassist.