1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bassline Isolation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lennard III., Jan 8, 2014.

1. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    While searching Youtube a few days back I have found sth. very interessting which I find is so helpful that I thought I'd share it with you - since it's not always easy to learn and hear a new Bassline from a certain song.....plus there's is often not much time for a big bunch of new songs to prepare for gigs.... so this might help you :

I have found this video about the App "Anytune" where you can isolate the Bassline very easy - I have tried the test version and was so satisfied with it that I updated to the full version and it really makes learning songs a lot more comfortable ;):)

Check out the Youtube video and decide for yourself....

:bassist:

2. squeally dan

squeally dan

Does the free version isolate certain tracks as you mentioned? That would be helpful.

3. skydogg

skydogg Supporting Member

That actually looks pretty cool. I will take a look at the app this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

4. ZenG

ZenG

Does it work as PC software on an IBM Microsoft comp?

Or is it strictly an "app" that can only be used on Mac phones and such?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    Unfortunately in the free version the isolation filter does only work in a demo-mode - I have upgraded to the pro-version after one day to have the full access on all features so I don't know all the differences between the free and the pro version ;) .....but everything else everything else seemed to be fully functional in the free version :) .... I am also still exploring the whole features of this app so I try my best to share what I have found out yet ;)

7. DrSteve

DrSteve

Looks like a great app. Does it totally isolate, or can you include the vocals or drums along with the bass track? And does it isolate other instruments? Thanks

8. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    It doesn’t isolate bass tracks like you would push the solo button on a mixing board - it just brings out the melody of the bassline that is played on the original recording very clear:)

I also like the “extract saxophone” preset for example - this is helpfull for players who are into learning Parker Solos and stuff.... - the app has more isolation presets for other instruments, but I haven’t tried them yet…;):bassist:

9. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

The YouTube video suggests that the narrator just raised the pitch of the song by two octaves. That definitely works, but other software does this too. I use Transcribe (by Seventh String) and I frequently raise the pitch of the entire song by just one octave any time I'm having trouble hearing the bass.

I agree that raising the pitch by an octave is usually much more effective that trying to use the eq. Unless you have a midi file, I don't see any way to truly isolate the bass line. But that's OK. I'm just trying to determine what notes are being played.

Amazing Slow Downer might be able to raise the pitch by an octave too, but I've never used it.

10. HardPuncher

HardPuncher

Riffstation is pretty cool in that it allows you to isolate instruments by finding where they are in the mix, then doing all that EQ/slowdown/octave shift stuff. Never was a fan of trying to EQ out the rest of a recording, but if you do it after finding where the bass is in the Left or Right channel, it actually works quite well. Analyzes the chords, too, making it all the easier to figure out a line.

Think it's available on both Mac and PC.

11. 456string

456string

Loaded anytune on my iPhone and Mac

Absolutely stunning! Very well thought out and designed app

Been checking out tons of different slowdowners in the past, to me that puppy beats them all

Love the YouTube rip (only iOS), Import/Export is missing nothing, playlist feature is a real treat

I also sing, love that you can view scrolling lyrics while you play

Bass line isolation works just fine, even the meanest Jaco lick is a piece of cake to figure out :hyper:

12. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    I was working with AudioRetoucher on my PC (but only the free-version) before I've found Anytune - was also ok - but having an App like Anytune now on my mobile makes me also more flexible

13. 456string

456string

Been working with anytune for two weeks now since I discovered it here on TB

This app is a monster practice machine, took me a while to figure out all the features

It got tons of them, totally off the hook!!!

Most of my bass students have apple devices, I started sharing the songs I'm teaching them including loop marks, also a great teaching tool

If I wasn't an apple guy already I would get me an iPad just for this app! NO JOKE!

14. jlacasse

jlacasse

I am new to playing bass (few months) and very new here on TB. I recently found that you can record audio from say youtube into Audacity and then slow the tempo down and use a filter or eq to isolate the bass line. This works very well for me and best of all it is free. I have used audacity for years for recording samples for hip hop productions in a studio i used to run years ago. Its a great free tool and has many plug ins available.

15. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

I've been using Amazing Slow Downer for 12 months. You can transpose it 12 semitones up (1 octave) too. Loops, playlist, etc. Import from iTunes only.

It only has the standard iPhone EQ presets feature in the app - but specific instrument settings would be very handy.

16. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Just watched and listend! Way cool....

17. 456string

456string

What I found very annoying working with slow downers so far is how much it takes up of you time to set your loops.

These guys from Anytune just released an update with a feature called "autoLoop", works on iOS and Mac.

You let your song run through one time and tap in real time where ever you want to have your loop points. Let the song play once, as many loops as you like set, done. 50-100+ loops set in 3min!!! Yeehaw!! :D

I just love this, no more wasting of my precious time for stupid loop setting action...this puts every slow downer I ever used in the past completely in the dust.

Check out tutorial video for autoLoop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybcPBqSAHw

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I use Song Surgeon for my slow downer. Super easy to set loops with a couple of clicks. You can even EQ the loops differently, bypass the loops and also create a sound file of just the loops. 31 Band EQ with 60db/cut and 20db/boost so you can isolate pretty much any instrument.

Not sure which slow downer you were using previously but SS seems to take care of the loop deal very elegantly with many more features that can be applied.

19. 456string

456string

Song Surgeon Pro for Mac $79.20...are you for real???

I got Anytune Mac $29.99 and Pro+ for iPad & iPhone 14.99...way more useful features than Song Surgeon...and doesn't feel and operate like an app from the 90ties :oops:

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

9 posts and attitude?:atoz:
    Way to make friends and influence people.
    Good luck with that.

21. 456string

456string

Stumbo, sorry my bad…lost my temper when I saw the price…don’t mean to intimidate or influence anybody…you right, it’s all about sharing…will do some anger management :rolleyes: