BassLines brand being retired?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by plankspanker13, Dec 3, 2012.

1. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

So there's a banner ad for the Quarter Pounders appearing, and I notice that it has "Seymour Duncan" on the actual pickups, and no mention of the BassLines brand. A visit to the Seymour website shows that BassLines pickups still appear, in the product images, but not in any of the actual verbiage.

A quick check of www.basslines.com takes me to the Seymour website's bass products page.

Is the BassLines brand being phased out?
  2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

They might just be renaming it. Sometimes people forget/don't know BLs ARE SD pups, so it might just be to avoid that confusion from happening, even if it is rare that it does (only knew 1 person that didn't know).

Not to mention it's just marking on the pup cover... people replace them all the time, so it doesn't even matter too much unless you want to represent the brand due to an endorsement or other reasons - personal or business - take your pick.

That, or the name on the pup could be done just for the ads... seen that happen too often and, again, no biggie.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I hope so... I wanted SD QP's for years and when I finally did get them they said basslines...

I realize it makes no difference, what's in a name, blah blah blah, but I always wanted SD's when I got older... not basslines.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I wish companies would leave their names off the pickups entirely. It's so lame and detracts from a bass's natural appearance, IMO.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i hope so! "basslines" as some kind of different brand was stupid and confusing. how many "what do basslines pickups sound like?" threads have we seen, as if it was just one model of pickup?

they're seymour duncans, and should be proudly called such!
  7. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Might as well get rid of headstock logos as well.
  8. Mykk

Mykk

I actually liked the "Basslines" brand name. I first knew of them working at a guitar store when I was a teenager. I thought it was cool, and I currently use them in a couple of my basses:

[​IMG]
  9. jbrew73

jbrew73

I always thought the basslines name made them sound cheap and cheesy. I have never even considered using their pickups in a bass because of the name.

I do have a set of P90's in a Tele though.
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think Duncan came out with the Basslines name because a lot of people just associated them with guitar pickups, and at the time they were starting to come out with a lot of bass pickup models.

Now people know they are Duncans, so it kind of makes sense to merge the two together.
  11. tnickk

tnickk

I like the pickups. I don't think the logo on the pickup looks classy. I think just raised letters instead of the white would look better.
  12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The only basslines that I really dig are the NYC phase II, don't matter to me whether they're called "basslines" or not......great pickup
  13. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

+1

Of course the Basslines logo will easily sand right off the cover. That's what I did with the SJB-1 in the J position of my 74 P Bass, now it looks much better! Great pickup btw.

[​IMG]