Basslines NYC-5 Pickups in Schecter Studio 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rogers_trafton, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rogers_trafton

rogers_trafton

Hey Guys,

I just bought these pickups and got them wired in with the existing EMG preamp that came stock in the bass. It worked for a little while and then I started getting this annoying popping sound. So I checked around and rewired the preamp only to find that now I get no output. Took it to the local repair shop and the guy said that the EMG40hz have a "preamp" installed in the back of the PUs which is why the Basslines won't work. Is this right? I did as much research as I could before I bought these to make sure they would be compatible with the system I already have. I need anything you guys have on this!!!

Thanks!
  2. rogers_trafton

rogers_trafton

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I don't know about the original EMG's pickups but pickups, active or passive, do not need a preamp to work. active pickups just have a low output and benefit from preamp's. you should still get a weak signal. It sounds like you have a negative connection that is not connected properly or dead pickups. Take it to a different tech.
  4. BruceWane

BruceWane

The guy at the repair shop is wrong - EMG Hz pickups do not have an integrated preamp. In other words, Hz's are, like most bass and guitar pickups, "passive". Pickups with a built-in preamp are "active".

I can understand his mistake though - EMG made only active pickups for most of the company's existence, and it's basically what they're "famous" for. They started making the passive Hz pickups probably 6 or 7 years ago now, but still a lot of people think that all EMGs are active.

Anyway, the SD NYC's are passive as well and should work with your existing preamp - sounds like you probably need to re-check all your wiring and soldering.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rogers_trafton

rogers_trafton

I checked it out some more and found that when plugged in it has super low output. Possible miswiring? If I remember right from the SD website the black terminal should be hot output?
  7. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

That sounds like hot and ground are swapped somewhere. Is there a link to the wiring diagram that you used? Did you unplug any of the preamp wires and plug them in backwards?
  8. rogers_trafton

rogers_trafton

this is the EQ that was used. I'm thinking that for some awful reason I decided to follow the EMG wiring scheme for colors and that this may have kicked me in the teeth. Red was hot out on those and I believe that SD it is black. I'm going to go pick it up today and see if that's all it was.

For the preamp I just re-soldered what was there as there were some fraying wires....my concern with this is that I may have fried the board. From what I've read those things are SENSITIVE.

Attached Files:

9. rogers_trafton

rogers_trafton

Also, this is what schecter sent me for a diagram for the EMGs. However, there is not a tone pot. It's a 500k 3 lug hooked up exactly like the neck pot. Only difference is that there is a jumper from lug 1 on neck pot to lug on on bridge pot. Then there is a wire that goes from there to the "white" on the diagram which is the input on the board.

Attached Files:

10. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Boy I would think it would all hook up the same considering the diagrams. One thing to make certain is the orientation of the wiring harness to the EQ board. Also, the wire coming from the blend pot to the EQ should have remained the same. Also, the EMG HZ's look to have the same wiring color code as the Duncans you have.

Perhaps, post pictures of everything. I would also just make sure you follow the schecter diagram and match it wire for wire.
  11. prokfrog

prokfrog

I was looking at those pups for my Schecter but noticed they said the pole spacing was set at 19mm. the Schecter spacing is usually 16.5. Other than the poppong you're experiencing, did you find they were ok? Do the strings line up with the poles?
  12. lowendmetal

lowendmetal Supporting Member

One other thing to look into-i recently replaced the emg's on my stilleto with active SD blackouts. I ended bringing the whole mess to a tech who pointed out that on emg's website, the bts preamp (which was emgs) has a spot on its page that says the emg preamp will only work with emg pickups. I ended up putting duncans basslines tone circuit and everything has been perfect.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/138/146/4
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Schecter preamps aren't very good. This is an excellent opportunity for you to put a better preamp in that bass ... something like an Audere.