Basslines on Ju-Ju and Work Song?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by ChordMelody, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ChordMelody

ChordMelody

Hey guys! I'm sorta not sure how I would walk a bassline for Ju-Ju and Work Song.

References:

Ju-Ju by Wayne Shorter

8 Bars B+7// 2 Bars Bb+7/ 2 Bars A7/ 2 Bars AbMaj7/ 2 Bars E-7/ 2 Bars F Maj7/ 2 Bars B-7/ 2 Bars FMaj7/ 2 Bars B7(#9)/ Repeat.

24 Bars with the intro and 16 without. I'm sorta not used to the form, and not sure how to walk for the intro especially.

Work Song by Nat Adderly

6 bars of Fmi7/ G7 (says to use C7 for head)/ C7/ 4 Bars of Fmi7/ F7(#9)/ Bb7 (Eb7) / G7 C7 / Fmi7 (C7) /

Again the Fmi7s I'm not sure how to walk over them.

This may tie in with another thread already on here though, Walking bass on static progression.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

Do you have reference recordings?
  3. ChordMelody

ChordMelody

4. Mark Perna

Mark Perna

Juju is in 3. I don't walk on it at all. I usually play a broken 3 feel or a pedal in one. If I walk at all, it is usually transitional.

The original version (or at least the definitive version) of Work Song is on Cannonball Adderley's Them Dirty Blues. Find a copy of that one for a reference.

mark
  5. ChordMelody

ChordMelody

Thank you Mark!

I'll probably listen to that one. I'm doing this for a university jazz workshop class. Ju-ju is really unique haha, first time I've ever played something like that.

Thanks again!
  6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, the Shorter catalogue is a kick in the crotch at the point where you're comfortable walking lines over Real Book charts. In a way, though it's easier than that. Listen and try to copp the feel of what Reggie Workman is doing. Use the chart as a supplemental reference, but try to connect with your ear and find that time feel.
  7. 251

I play JuJu as if there were VooDoo dancers in a mosh pit in front of the band. A half note & 2 8ths per bar, double thumb/pluck, Index/Middle or Thumb/Index/Middle <BG, I don't play URB>. The right hand variations prevent fatigue. I think of it as a tune about wildness. I have to remember to listen for a soloist who wants to go quiet. It doesn't get played my way all the time.

Try walking quarter note Fm7 arps to the 9th, on solos on Work Song & hitting the Root on 1 every other bar, in addition to broken 3rd's, doubled notes, pedals & the other patterns you would use on a modal tune like So What?. Can you invent 3 bar patterns for Fm7? Repeat & mix them to create interest when walking the 6 measure phrase.

Both tunes will let you think outside the box & influence what others play. Enjoy. :cool:
  8. ChordMelody

ChordMelody

Thanks :)! Sorry for the late reply! Yeah I've been trying to pay attention to what the original recording is played like.

Thanks :)! I'll try those! I've been suggested dotted quarter notes too. Sorry for the late reply again!
  9. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

Be careful with overusing dotted quaters.... in 3/4 their like crack, so don't abuse them.

I know this from experience and drummers telling me I was killing a groove. One of the many bad habits I like to think I've broken.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I play WorkSong quite a lot in a band I play with - I just tend to think of it as a Blues - but stretched a bit! :p

16 Bar Minor Blues.

If it goes at a fairly fast tempo, it's really no different and it doesn't feel "static" at all!
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member