BassMods 3 Band preamp test

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sotua, Dec 31, 2013.

1. sotua

sotua

Hi all,

here's a quick recording I did after installing the Bassmods BEQ12-34PTAP (3 band, active-passive, passive tone) preamp in my custom bass.

The bass is a salvaged mongrel: Yamaha BB300 neck from the 80s according to the serial number, fender deluxe bridge, couple of GFS ceramic MM humbuckers, body of local wood (Cedrinho, a south american relative of mahogany as described by the luthier). Blend is both pickups full on, and they are wired internally in series each. Strings are fairly fresh DAddario XL170s.

The clip is short and only demonstrates boosting. I forgot to test cutting and also a pick example. And it also features a crap bassist. But it might give you an idea of what the BassMods preamp does. The inline comments say what setting is being used. All recording is dry (Bass into Line6 GX interface), except for the last part which has an amp emulator VST going on.

My opinion is that the preamp works great, gives a lot of versatility to the bass. The frequencies are centered pretty high (mids are high mids and bass is pretty much mids. I disremember the exact frequencies, might be 1Khz for mids and 300Hz for bass) and that generates a very pleasing result, though it's hard to get some Jaco mids out of it. The knobs are VERY sensitive and provide tons of boost. Beware if you don't like pushing your amp or like extra clean tone. It's big (longer than a 9v battery and almost as tall and wide as one) so you'll need serious space in your control cavity. Overall: ME LIKEY! :hyper:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014