bassses that are easy to play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogenzenjisamsa, Dec 28, 2012.

1. dogenzenjisamsa

dogenzenjisamsa

hey guys,

I've been playing bass for about 8 years now, and just recently I've been getting pains in my fretting hand, and I believe that I have lost some strength in this hand :( I had a really bad technique, as I was never given lessons and whenever I stretch my hand over 4 frets (1 finger per fret) starting at the first fret on the neck, I get a sharp pain in the middle of my hand. I have some strain playing when the instrument is tuned standard, and I'm only really comfortable when its flattened a half step.

I'm thinking about buying a new bass, and I was wondering if you all new any specific model bass that is really easy to play in standard tuning/doesn't require much effort to fret. I heard rick's are good, and i've always wanted one, but I wanted to know if any other ones were good

2. jabsys

jabsys

If it's fine half a step down, why not just use lighter strings tuned to standard?
  3. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

Try some short scales with low action.
  4. dogenzenjisamsa

dogenzenjisamsa

It's at the lowest action it can be without buzzing, and i have d'addario super light strings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I don't know what kind of strings you use, or how the setup is on your bass. But you might want to try getting a setup and see if your action is high. Or you could try some round core strings, like DR Highbeams or Sunbeams. They're a little more flexible than a hex core string and easier to press down to the fingerboard.
  7. Tupac

Tupac

-Low Action
    -Thin neck (if you play with the thumb in the back instead of over)
    -Light strings

Sounds like you need an Ibanez or a Fender Jazz.
  8. dogenzenjisamsa

dogenzenjisamsa

also, I play a fernandes J bass
  9. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

Try shortscale.
  10. dogenzenjisamsa

dogenzenjisamsa

how much does a set up usually cost? my friend actually just got me a short scale squier jaguar, but i haven't messed around with it since i'm on vacation at the moment
  11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Ibanez SR basses are super easy to play.
  12. aseksysasquatch

aseksysasquatch

+1
  13. spade2you

spade2you

Set your bass up with low action. Use 1-2-4 fingering.
  14. RxFunk

RxFunk

Cost will vary depending on where you take it. I pay $40(without strings) for mine, set up by a professional luthier, but I've seen where people pay more and even some who pay less.Count on paying about $70-$80 if you get strings with it.
  15. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Keep working. Pain is good when practice. Keep playing on the first 5 frets (one finger/fret) up and down until you can do it 10 minutes without screaming of pain. Than make break and try again after 1 or 2 hours. Keep playing. You will see after some time you will be superman. It just takes time to make fingers used to unnatural movements.
  16. dogenzenjisamsa

dogenzenjisamsa

are they quality basses though? i always heard they were for beginners
  17. sprag

sprag

Maybe try adjusting your strap or the angle of the neck while playing (I get wrist issues if I have the neck too low/strap too long). Also have a look in the technique forum for warm up scales I find I play better, cleaner and have less strain in my hand through longer sets if I do 5 or 10 min of scales before hand.
  18. spade2you

spade2you

or you'll develop horrible tendinitis. Proper technique makes for efficiency and is much easier on the joints.
  19. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I disagree. Pain is not good when playing.

For beginners, there can be a little muscle soreness just as with any form of exercise, or a little soreness in the fingertips, and that's a sign to stop for the day.

The OP, however, has been playing for years and talks about a sharp pain in the center of the palm. That definitely sounds like something is wrong.
  20. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Ibanez SR series runs from the cheap beginner basses to the Premium series which are over $1000. They make some nice stuff.
  21. dogenzenjisamsa

dogenzenjisamsa

thank you all so much- i really appreciate all of your replies.

my last question would be, are rickenbackers hard to play? its always been my dream to play a rick, but are they tough on the hands