1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BassSpotting: Rick Laird's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Duplo42, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Duplo42

Duplo42

Saw Rick Laird's personal bass at Bass Northwest in Seattle, thought of taking couple of pics for the fans of Rick (me being one) - sorry for crappy cellphone pics, in person is much warmer walnut natural finish - might drop by again and take proper ones.
    It's a '66 j-bass body (incl. his sig) with brass (?) pickguard and Modulus graphite neck. Thing plays and feels and sounds bloody great.
    Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Those pickups are not original either.

Can't call it a 1966 Fender when 75% is no longer Fender parts.
  3. Duplo42

Duplo42

Ah, indeed, but that's not the point - its a cool bass and a rare sight, that's all.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Cool! Agree about calling it a 1966 Jazz Bass. I'll give the shop half the asking price for the bass.

The only time I got to see Rick perform was with the MO in 1972, they opened for Frank Zappa & TMOI. :bassist:
  5. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Played for Blind Faith, right? Ginger Baker didn't like his playing but he just finished off playing years with Jack Bruce - tough act to follow! I was wondering why the low price for a celebrity signed 66' Jazz..... Thanks for the pics!
  6. KPJ

KPJ

No, that was Rick Grech. Rick Laird played with Mahavishnu Orchestra.
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Is the body the only original part on the bass? I didn't think Fender made walnut bodies in '66. (Or is it walnut-colored ash or alder?)

Doesn't really matter, a beat-up body w/ Schaller bridge and BassStar neck is probably a killer instrument. I'd rock that thing fo' sure.

Anyone have a clue when Rick played that axe? I've seen pics of him with some sunburst Fenders and a lucite Ampeg Dan Armstrongs with Mahavishnu, and with a Carl Thompson when he toured with Return To Forever, but never a walnut w/ Modulus neck.
  8. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

For me the Rick Laird bass is his sunburst P bass with added mudbucker at the neck. It crops up in most of the concert footage from the period. He moved over to a lucite Dan Armstrong bass after that. This Jazz could be anything, but I think the word 'mutt' about covers it.
  9. Duplo42

Duplo42

I agree bout the P bass - having a chance to play that one would be a total blast! Still this bass feels great when played - like a real players instrument - no matter the frankenstein appearence - it simply wants to be played. I would definitely go for it if my wallet would allow...
  10. markanini

markanini

Hey I found Michael Boltons Harmonica!
    :bag:
  11. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Oh yeah, thanks. Couldn't hear much of his playing in Inner Mounting Flame, but that music! Unbelievable!
  12. alembicbones

alembicbones

When I last stopped by Bass NW, I heard a customer demoing this bass. It sounded very nice. It's not my cup o' tea but somebody might find it to their liking. It's definitely more of a player's bass than a collectable.

Bones
  13. Jeff Scott

Hence, the asking price is a bit high IMO.
  14. Jeff Scott

Is it all original? :bag:
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

You do have a point. I don't know how many 196x basses I've seen where most of the bass isn't from that year.