Bastille on SNL and other great SNL Performances

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JPMo, Jan 30, 2014.

1. JPMo

JPMo

I wasn't really a fan of this song but watching this past episode on SNL made me change my mind. Its a pretty cool song, great performance and most importantly, a cool bassline!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHW4SGWYaQ

While on SNL, lets share some other great performances from the show! :bassist:

2. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Live did "I Alone" in the late 90s. I thought they sounded awesome. Can't find it on YouTube.

3. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Nirvana's SNL performance was a good one. I do believe, however, that SNL clips are a bit harder to come by on YouTube compared to talk show performances.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

It's been ages since I've seen a band performance on SNL that I thought was worth recommending...the only ones that come to mind are REM with Kate Pierson doing "Shiny Happy People", and Frank Zappa doing...uh, I'm not sure what the piece was, might've been "The Purple Lagoon"? ...when John Belushi came out to do his Samurai BeBop Musician routine, and Frank's band aped Belushi's skronking verbatim.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WillInDenver

Following the trend of great SNL performances from quite a while ago, here is a good one of Pearl Jam doing "Not For You."

The song was on Vitalogy, and we were all sort of waiting to hear whether Pearl Jam had enough ideas in their heads to stick around past a couple albums (a fate that befell many 90s bands).

I remember seeing this performance when it aired, which in fact was several months before Vitalogy was released. It was clear in my mind that Pearl Jam was around for the long haul.

I love the dynamics, how they get really big and loud when the verse approaches the chorus.

I did find this one on YouTube, but it appears to be an, ahem, "unauthorized" version.

7. JimK

JimK

Maybe...I'm sure you remember Zappa w/ Bozzio/O'Hearn & Don Pardo doin' "I Am The Slime".

I have a Best Of SNL Music DVD-set...
    Here's some highlights-
    Jewel- "Who Will Save Your Soul" (w/ Joshua Redman on sax)
    Killer version with some cool instrumentation

Alanis Morrisette- "Ironic"
    Again, a killer version with Chas Chandler & Taylor Hawkins

Paul McCartney- "Hey Jude"
    This lineup includes Hamish Stuart (on bass), Blair Cunningham (drums), Robbie McIntosh (guitar), Wix Wickens (synth) + Linda. Paul plays piano...great version.
    IMHO, this was PM's best band post-Beatles.

En Vogue- "Free Your Mind"
    Wow...

In the early daze of youtube, someone here (Jaquo?) posted a SNL clip of Ornette Coleman's Prime Time. It kicked ass...but it is no longer available at youtube. Imagine, SNL going from Ornette Coleman to what's-her-name Simpson as a musical guest.

8. WillInDenver

Many of the current SNL music features seem less like live music performances to me, and more like multimedia presentations, being as much about the visual, the dramatic, and the shocking (in cases) as about the music.

They're OK as far as they go, and I'm not going to be that guy who says that there's nobody young and talented in music these days. But what I see now is not what I enjoyed growing up, or even 10 years ago.

9. JimK

JimK

...sounds like the Super Bowl 1/2 time shows.

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

I always liked this song, nothing earth-shattering, but a catchy tune. When they were introduced, I was sure they'd use samples or pre-recorded vocals. So refreshing that they did I it live and brought in a small choral. Almost unique in this day and age, sad to say.

11. mebusdriver

mebusdriver

Radiohead had a kick ass performance of Idioteque a long time ago. Not much instrumentation, a lot samples and drum machines, but the performance was killer. Cool thing about Radiohead in that performance was all the samples and drum machines were analog. One of the guitar players was actively triggering and controlling all the stuff. It was pretty neat. He didn't push a button and jump around.