Bath or shower?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A few years ago, the world's smartest woman (Marilyn Mach vos Savant) had a Q&A column in Parade Magazine. Someone wrote in and asked, "Which gets you cleaner, a shower or a bath?" Being a woman, she of course answered a bath. Her rationale was that soaking in the water softens and loosens the dirt and dead skin cells for a more complete removal.

Well, I am forced to disagree. The main problem I have with baths is that you are sitting in a warm broth of soap scum, dirt, pathogens, dead skin cells, and a small amount of fecal matter not fully removed the last time you wiped. Whether or not her rationale is correct, I'm at a loss to figure out how you escape having a film of those substances left on your skin at the end of your bath. If you stand up out of the water, the film adheres to your skin, much like those swirly paint jobs they do on some guitars by floating the paint on water. If you just sit there as the tub drains, same thing.

You may argue that all that stuff gets wiped off by the towel as you dry yourself but, really? I doubt it. Of course, you can always take a shower after your bath to wash off the film, but then why not just take a shower in the first place?

So, smartest woman in the world: pwned.
  2. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I just shower. And sometimes use soap. I'm still alive
  3. Ifriff

Ifriff

I work hard and occasionally relax in a hot bath. I totally agree with you about rinsing off with the shower after a bath. Especially my hair. More often than not I realize the hot bath is more then I want to deal with. Drawing the bath, choosing reading material, music choice, then rinsing out the tub and rinsing myself with the shower when I'm finished. I think about this each time I contemplate a nice hot relaxing bath. You know, I think I'll just get a hot shower. Much less to deal with and more quickly back to rockin out! Ha Haaaaa
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Baths and showers have different purposes - for me a shower to get clean and a bath to relax and help with tired muscles.

To really get clean I'd suggest a hot sauna plus a shower though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The Japanese have it right. First you wash, then you relax in the hot tub.
  7. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

Shower. I do not feel as clean after a bath as I do after a shower.
  8. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

Shower for me.
  9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Shower every day to wash. I never have a bath to wash, just to relax the muscles every so often. And yes, shower, and then get in the bath clean. Then maybe a rinse after.
  10. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

Good point. I do like a bath to relax sore muscles but I would not take one to get clean.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Shower most of the time, though a bath is great for when my back plays up.
  12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I prefer showers.

But if you want to avoid soaking in a bath full of your own dirt, scum, dead skin, and bits of fecal matter, simply wash off your body before taking a bath. That's what they do in Japan and most of continental Asia. It's not a difficult problem to solve.
  13. pedroims

pedroims

Shower for me, I think bath is more popular in Europe, I have been in some European friends houses where they did not have showers but bathtubs, I have never seen that in America.
  14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Shower every time to get clean, but as others have said, a deep soak...music...glass of red...low lights...great for soothing and relaxation.
  15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Soap doesn't actually clean you. It loosens surface tension which let's you wash off dirt. I don't see how sitting in soapy water is supposed to clean you, not to mention poop remnants.
  16. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I once lived in a house that had a tub but no shower. I would get very dirty at work. My bath water would turn brown when I bathed. I would have to take a second bath to get clean, after cleaning the tub. I rigged a shower in order to get/feel clean.
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I haven't taken a bath since I was a kid. To me a shower is more relaxing, and it gets you cleaner.
  18. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Shower, 3 times a day.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Quite common to have both in one, a bath with additional shower head and curtain.
  20. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Shower.

lowsound
  21. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Definitely showers, but I do like to relax in a hot bath that has those jets. Plus, I think it's funny how my ding-dong floats.