Battered old bass needs some fixing up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GlamNoir, Feb 17, 2013.

1. GlamNoir

GlamNoir

So about 7 years ago I had the bright idea to go smashing my bass "London Calling" style after a show. I was young and it was a bad idea. Another bad idea I had was gluing it back together with contact cement. It mostly sat around in it's case up until the last year or so and has actually seen a lot of use since then and even with plans to purchase a new bass right away, I'm pretty attached to this battered instrument.

I was wondering if there's anyway to go about properly repairing the body, filling the various dings and getting it back to it's former self? I know it's probably not worth it, but it was my first bass, and I'd rather fix it up than junk it just because there's going to be a new one in the near future.

Attached Files:

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I'd leave it as is! Especially if you play punk-rock!

I love old battered basses. If you really do want it to be back to stock looking, you can strip the finish and try your best to sand down the line between the two pieces so that there isn't a noticeable bump. Then paint over it so that the line isn't visible.

Again, I'd leave it like it is. Long as its stable I don't see a problem with leaving it.

3. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

It looks fixable to me. take it apart and strip it down. Once you get the paint off of it, use wood filler to fill in the dents and gaping holes. seal it up and paint it. It will cost some money and will take some time but it's fixable. what does the neck look like?

4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Probably the easiest way is rough it up with maybe 320 or 220 sandpaper.Cleanup that crack and use autobody filler to fill out the crack sand flat,prime and paint it.Or cut off yur sleeves get a few tats and a studded belt and play it as is:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

That's hilarious! I vote leave it, we all need memories.......

7. BrenBass

BrenBass

Leave it as it is, it will be a constant reminder and a talking point. :)