battery draining

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groovin_Joe, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Groovin_Joe

Groovin_Joe

Hi all.

I have a problem. I have done a search and nothing conclusive as of yet.

I built a warmoth parts bass about 5 months ago, I didn't notice it but I am going through batteries like nuts. I have APJ-1 bass lines in it. Pro-actives. They are awesome but if I don't use the bass for a few weeks then the battery is almost dead. I think I messed up the wiring somehow. This isn't my first rodeo with wiring, but it is with active pickups.

Attached is pictures of the bass jack wiring. I think the issue is is there.

Any help would be great.
    The pic of the jack, has the neg of the battery on the right of the pic.

ForumRunner_20120212_174952.png

ForumRunner_20120212_175030.png

2. Matt Lake

Matt Lake Supporting Member

Hey , I had the same problem and I finally figured out the rings on the output jack had slipped around and barely made contact with each other so the battery ground was on even when it was unplugged. Look closely at the jack...or if any connection( like the unprotected capacitor wire) touches the grounding paint inside the cavity, that could also cause problems.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have to ask the obvious, so please forgive me - you're not leaving a cable plugged in, right?

4. Groovin_Joe

Groovin_Joe

No offence taken, but yes it is unplugged. Mostly stays in its case.

Did also check other things and nothing is touching. But I did find that something was touching the shielding. I was reading voltage between the pos and the tip of the jack and shielding. May have found it. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matt Lake

Hmm...Joe, I'm trying to figure out in my own mind how this thing works. As I recall the positive of the battery is always connected to the preamp and the the battery ground wire goes to the middle contact on the jack. The middle contact on the jack then contacts the rest of the grounds in the system by the sleeve (long part) of the guitar cord plug when a cord is plugged in. So the battery shouldn't drain if there is actually no contact from the battery ground wire to the rest of the electronics when then cord is unplugged.
    Hope this isn't too much jibberish, just trying to help.
    Can you take a ohm meter or continuity checker and go from the battery ground to the rest of the grounds in the system? There shouldn't be a connection (continuity) when unplugged.

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    as middle you mean the ring?
    If you mean the middle lug on the jack, that's wrong. The middle lug is the ground.
    The two external are, one the hot and the other the - batt.

[​IMG]

8. Matt Lake

You are correct, Maurilio. Good illistration. Sorry, Hope I didn't confuse matters. I meant the middle contact on the plug. Not really sure which ring it will be for wire connection. I just have to look closely at the jack to see which lug goes to which contact.

9. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    My eyes could be deceiving me, but the jack in the OP's picture looks like a switching jack, not a TRS jack.

10. Groovin_Joe

Groovin_Joe

Its the jack that came the with pickups so I would assume that it would be the right one.

11. Rob22315

Rob22315

A switching jack will work just as well as a TRS jack assuming it's wired properly. It's possible the switch in the jack has gone bad. Try measuring the operation of the switch using some nonconductive object (like a pencil) inserted in the jack.