Battery dying too quickly in Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mancefine, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I have a Spector Euro 4 LX and I think something is happening with the battery in it. Before anyone thinks I'm an idiot, it's never plugged in if I'm not playing it. I play the bass plugged in for probably 6-8 hours a week and I've noticed that when I change the battery the bass sounds great and super clear for maybe a week and then it starts slowly getting fuzzier and fuzzier and I've found myself changing the battery about every 2 weeks. I've owned many active basses in the past and usually only had to change the battery every few months. Anyone experienced this, and what did you do to fix it? Also, I use good duracell batteries. I noticed when I used a cheaper grocery store brand battery it seemed to go out in a week.
  2. MaGrass

MaGrass

Your bass need to be seen by a tech.

That's all I guess, electrics can go mad too
  3. cableguy

cableguy

Try flipping the ground wires on the input jack.
  4. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Could you elaborate on why this would help?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    This just started happening all on it's own out of the blue? No electronic changes were made recently?
  7. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

unless yer confident in diggin in to the eletronics yerself.....i'd
    say its tech time. my first thought was a loose ground. gl
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I would not just randomly start swapping connections - I would verify that the battery negative goes to the ring terminal of the jack, the rest of the grounds go to the sleeve, signal to the tip...

Good question...

- georgestrings
  9. scatbass

scatbass

I had this issue on a Spector that I bought used. Turned out to be just an exposed connection on the jack shorting out the ground wire. Double check the wiring, use a multi-meter if you have one. Or bring it to someone who knows this stuff. It's probably a pretty simple thing like this...
  10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Sounds like a classic bad output jack. You can try prying the solder lugs a little with a pliers, might fix it. Or just replace it, easy job. Presuming it's a "barrel" type jack, right? They're notorious for going bad internally. You can check it first for a vampire leak with a multi-meter.
  11. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Inserting the plug completes the circuit to ground. If they are reversed it will cause the pre to be on all of the time. It's a common mistake a lot of people make since you cannot see which is which. The 2 terminals are slightly different lengths. It's most likely the culprit. That or something is touching inside where it shouldn't , like if you spun a loose pot.
  12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    There's a short somewhere in the circuit; take it to a competent tech and they can sort it out for you
  13. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I had the exact same issue, there was a short at the jack, and I was able to get it fixed for around $100. Try searching "draining battery" to find my post - I got a lot of good feedback re. this from the good folks here.
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A shorter output jack cost you $100 to fix? Yikes.
  15. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Hired a tech. As well as having them troubleshoot the batt issue, I had them replace the lead from the battery to the pre amp as it was taking too much space and made for a tight fit when putting the lid back on (previous owner had already snapped off one of the hinges). Happy to spend the $100 to address those things, very happy with their work and highly recommend them (Guitar Repair Shop - Calgary). I just searched "battery draining" and it is there, 3 pages or so from some helpful folks that frequent this site.
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Always pick the low-hanging fruit first, life is easier that way. These barrel jacks go bad all the time, it's the most likely cause of excessive battery drainage. They're so unreliable I don't know why builders even bother with them. I think G&L quit them finally, for example. Too many failures.

Retail price for a Switchcraft barrel jack is about $10, I believe. Soldering iron, small wrench or pliers, and a few minutes of your time. Boom. Done.
  17. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys. That makes sense, I was thinking that something was inadvertently telling the pre amp that a cable was plugged in all the time, I just wasn't sure if that was actually possible. Fortunatly I'm in Austin so there are techs and music shops a-plenty.
  18. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    And yes, no changes have been made since I've owned the bass. It's been issue free the last 6 months, other than this.
  19. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo

Disclosures:
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    This occurs for 1 of 2 reasons
    A) Your using crap batteries
    B) Theres an issue with the input jack itself.. Swap the jack you should be good.

The backward connection wont drain your juice..