Battery is draining

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nijushiho, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Nijushiho

Nijushiho

I am using an effects box for the first time. Well the battery drained rapidly so there is obviously a need to stay unplugged, as one does with an active guitar.

Can someone just tell me what needs to be unplugged. I would like to not have to pull all cords, just the one that causes the open circuit.

Thanks

2. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Usually it's the input jack that is used as a switch, but not always.

3. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

4. eukatheude

eukatheude

Usually it's the input. Some stompboxes (loopers, delays) use the output. Best way to check is to plug one cable in and switch the pedal on and off.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Yeah, usually it's the input jack. Might be worth getting an AC adapter, you can plug that into a plug strip or switched outlet on your amp if it has one, then turn it on and off with the switch. Then you could also leave the input jack plugged it.

7. Nijushiho

Nijushiho

Thanks for the advice.
    In other words (and assuming it is the jack on the box labeled "input") unplug the jack from the guitar?

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If your bass is active, yes, you will want to unplug it when not in use. I would unplug it even if it was passive, but thats me. If there is a battery powering a bass or pedal, you usually want to unplug the input. I like the suggestion above the last comment, just get a power supply like a 1spot. That way you wont need to unplug anything except the plug from the wall. This one is for multiple pedals:

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Sound-Spot-Combo-Pack/dp/B000RNB720

9. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

It's not a signal from the guitar that's keeping it drawing juice, it's the presence of the cable-end in the pedal's input jack completing the circuit. Unplug the cable from the pedal.

10. Rob22315

Rob22315

Use a wall wart, not a battery. You won't have to worry about a dead batt and a good wall wart can be had for $10-12 if you can find a sale.

I use a wall wart to power my active bass too so I haven't touched a battery in years.

That said, try unplugging the cable from the input jack of your pedal.

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Ditch the battery and get a plug adapter to power the pedal. No worries if you do that.

12. Nijushiho

Nijushiho

Thanks to all for the easy solution.