1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Battery Power Issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongostealth, Jan 12, 2013.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I have a bass with an EMG BQC system and Seymour Duncan Basslines active soapbars. The whole system works great but I noticed that it eats my batteries within a couple of days. If I install new batteries (Duracell), play the bass for an hour, and then put it away for a week or so, the batteries are completely dead the next time I pick it up. I've had this same pickup and preamp combination before and I have never had this problem.

Everything is wired correctly. I have no other issues with the sound or the preamp itself. Just seems weird. Is it possible that cold weather drains batteries? I never leave the input cable plugged in when I'm not playing the bass.

Any thoughts? :confused:
  2. line6man

line6man

There is a short somewhere. Do you have a multimeter to test the current draw?
  3. bongostealth

No. I don't.
  4. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

If it's not a stereo jack, could be wired wrong. Had it happen cause I got and EMG pups and BQC system, but my jack was a mono switchcraft.
  5. bongostealth

I have a stereo barrel jack.
  6. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

yep something is wired wrong causing the bass to stay on when the jack is unplugged. check and recheck your wireing especially at the jack .
  7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Have you done a continuity test between the ring and the sleeve with the jack disconnected? I'd gamble that this, or do you have any shielding near the jack?
    Are you grounding to the control cavity?
    If so, which terminal are you using for this on the jack? I made the mistake of using the ground from shielding to the sleeve (where the battery (-) was).

Any way you slice it, The (-) from the battery is getting ground from somewhere, instead of no ground, which it should be if the jack is disconnected..
  8. edpal

edpal Tick-tock, she's not just another pretty face! Gold Supporting Member

Yes, amperage drops in most batteries technologies as temperature falls. But I doubt that is your problem, the drop is not that extreme even if frozen and most rebound when temps rise. You got a grounding issue most likely as others noted.