battle of the 1x12" combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by deadguyjon, Dec 7, 2012.

1. deadguyjon

deadguyjon

simply put: mark bass mini cmd 121p or gallien krueger mb112?

clearly, the mark bass is going to be more versatile, but is it worth the extra dollars?

In Australia, where I live, there is about $1000 between the two.

I play in a multi genre band that plays quite loud, but in small venues. The Mark Bass is going to be louder but would the GK do the job?

people with amp knowledge, enlighten me.

thanks.
  2. Crabby

Crabby

There is only one 112 combo worth considering and its the Mesa Walkabout!
  3. atrapp

atrapp Gold Supporting Member

+1
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Well I imagine the brand of coolaid post 2 and 3 are sporting will be even more than $1000 Aus difference if you can find it down under? The inherent voicing of the MarkBass could make it worth the extra cash if you like it. Otherwise the G-K should do very well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

Of those two, the Mark Bass will clearly outshine the GK, but there are other choices... The Mesa walkabout for sure. Carvin makes a very nice 112 combo, but I don't have any idea what shipping would be like. There are others, but I have no idea what's available down under.
  7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Depends on what you like.
    I will say that among Markbass boxes, the CMD 151p Jeff Berlin is my favorite.
    It's a 115 though not a 112 so it's not fair to suggest that.
  8. newbold

newbold

Walkabout scout - that's what it's all about.
  9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I have both and like both. Depends on application. For the added dollars on the MB you get twice the power, the ability to add an extra cab, built like a tank construction and a tweeter (which is not necessarily a plus).

You could drop the MB off your roof and it would probably survive. But then again you could buy a replacement GK in the unlikely event that you happen to have your amp on the roof and drop it. :)

The MB makes a great mini stack if you add a 1x12 cab. Not an option with the GK.
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the GK since it doesnt look like a bumble bee, with the price difference in consideration. Then save for a Walkabout.
  11. Hnz

Hnz

I have owned the MB121 plus ext cab NY112. I now use a GK MB112 for home practice and small bar gigs and semi-acoustic gigs.

The MB is sturdy, pretty loud and a great amp. BUT: For me I never got the sound out of it I really liked. "Old school" sound, so to say. Also the MB 12"-ers were not to my liking - a bit baffled sound. The MB 10"-ers (which I also owned) were much better sounding imho. The voicing filters on the MB combo head are nice, but kept me searching more for the right sound than finding it.

The GK combo is pretty loud for a single 12" 200 Watts. To me it sounds amazing every time I play it. Really, really dig the sound. The simple eq lay-out works great for me: Depends on which bass I play over it if I tweak its settings a little, as does the room one plays it in. Never had volume issues with it. BUT I do not use it with the full electric band.
    However, the new generation GK MB112 can be hooked up with a powered 1x12" cab. This combination will still be under the price of the MB combo on its own.

Apart from the dollars, I think it first should come down to sound. Do you like the MB sound and can you afford it, why not choose that? It will bring you years and years of pleasure.
    But if you dig the GK sound, it's also about the money you save. Don't make the decision the other way round; It will make you unhappy in the end.

Just my experience with both the suggested amps. And I also owned the Mesa Boogie Scout combo - just the 15"-er. To my opinion it's way overpriced for what you get.
    Sure it's very well built and sounds nice, but so do many less pricy options.
  12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    great if you like fluffy, woofy, UNCONTROLLABLE bottom end...the passive radiator can be a royal PITA in a bad room, and NO amount of eq will stop it - it just booms out sub sonic rumble all the ****ing time. Also, the amp itself has very little headroom for the wattage claimed...just don't like those things. That head sounds infinitely better with the Mesa single 12 Neo cab; then you're onto something. Or better yet get two of them. Much better than the Scout. And if you want to hear what they REALLY sound like without the fake passive radiator pumping BS into the room, pick one up sometime and play it off the floor - honky, boxy, NO bottom end...horrible things. People are bedazzled too easily by that stuff. And yes, I've played them at gigs and rehearsals, several of my students had them YEARS ago when they first came out, and everybody sold them, eventually.

So many know it-alls-claiming this is the greatest amp ever, I just had to intervene...they're OK, but I like the Markbass MUCH better. And for about the same price as the GK (which is nasal and very boxy, requires a TON of EQ to get a bass sound out of, and there goes all your headroom and dynamic range when you do that), look at the TC 250 combo for about $400.00. I was JUST AB'ing the GK 12 (which was within $20.00 of the price) and the TC a few hours ago by coincidence - TC won by a knockout.

But the Markbass has WAY more power than ANY of these, and is way more flexible and with tons more headroom - another class of amp completely.

And IMHO, the best 12" combo EVER made is the Berg IP, which will totally annihilate ANY of these amps.

Walkabout Scout...$1500.00...no thanks. You could buy a MASSIVE used rig for that price, and some really nice stuff.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  13. Russell L

Russell L

Don't forget the Markbass CMD 121H combo with its bigger box. I have one, and it is amazing. But, I still prefer my Traveler 151P (or two) with my Little Mark III head. It can take more lows at a higher volume than the 12" speaker can.
  14. gleneg61

gleneg61

MB is very pricey in Oz so I'd also consider the Genz Benz 6.0 combo; basically the same weight, size & power output as the MB, can add an extra cab for bigger venues & can also remove the head for use with any other cab, has a preamp tube for grit/warmth & can be had at a decent price used as the 6.2 is the new version. The Carvins & new TC250s are also quality rigs to think about but try them all out before buying & remember that how it sounds in the shop will be different than on stage in a band so make sure you're happy with the mids on any amp you get. Of course the MB & the GK are fine amps too. Good luck!
  15. Jack

Jack

Some of of you folks talking about 'MB' combos could probably specify if your talking about Markbass or the MB line of GK combos. :)
  16. Russell L

Russell L

The only caveat I have with many Markbass amps is the center frequencies of some of the eq knobs (e.g. lows at 40Hz, then low mids at 360Hz--no control over, say 100-150Hz, which is what I want). Some do have semi-parametric mid controls, though (e.g. SD series, Momark). I have a Little Mark III and am considering an eq pedal to help with that (I hope).
  17. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

or the Mesa Boogie
  18. Jack

Jack

Hah! Yeah.
  19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

The "fake" passive radiator pumps exactly nothing. It functions as a port and tunes the box lower than otherwise expected for its' size. Period. I guess you don't like that combo. Many obviously do, as it's one of the most successful combos in recent bass ampdom and continues to sell well on the new and used markets, in spite of a high price. Diff'rent strokes:p

IME it's the thickest sounding 12 combo I have tried. I agree that the head excels with other cabs. I also agree that it's relatively underpowered for its' price in today's market, but I love its' sound so much that I still have one.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the Walkabout is absolutely the best sounding amp I've ever encountered, out of more than my fair share. But I also agree, in it's Scout combo form, it's not at it's best. Sold my Scout cab long ago, but would never part with the amp. As this is a 1x12 combo amp thread, I'd have to leave it out, unless small heads paired with 1x12 cabs are allowed.
  21. bherman

bherman

Don't overlook the comment about the Carvin combo - they are getting really good reviews and should have no real trouble with shipping (other than cost of course :) )