1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BBC article on Ringo Starr.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AltGrendel, Dec 13, 2013.

1. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

BBC article on Ringo: Here

Say what you will, I always liked his work and felt that he really was the best drummer for them.
  2. Shinbone

Shinbone Supporting Member

I've come to believe that Ringo was a lot more integral to the Beatles sound than most people give him credit for.
    To me, none of the post-Beatles solo recordings sound much like the Beatles unless Ringo played on it.
  3. Mike M.

Mike M.

It just wouldn't have been the Beatles without John, Paul, George and Ringo. Ringo gave those songs what they needed. Was he lucky? Of course he was. He was in the right time, was in the right place and knew the right people to make it all happen.

I like how Ringo put it" "The Beatles happened because we all said yes."
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Even Paul has gone on record saying he isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles... didn't he get the spot because Pete Best was not pretty enough?

Now in a "who was the best conductor on Shining Time Station?" debate, I think Ringo has a better shot.
  5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I thoroughly enjoyed that article. I learned a lot I didn't know about Ringo. Thanks!
  6. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I've always loved Ringo's style and feel. He was a major contributor to the sound of the Beatles.
  7. bjabass

bjabass

The Beatles were a celebrity group as much as a band early on. He was the right celebrity for the job. His drumming was basic and solid as was the musicianship of the rest of the band. The only standout musician as far as virtuosity was MacCartney and his ability was much more musical than technical. Ringo fit, and without him the phenomena would never have happened IMHO.
  8. corinpills

corinpills

Anybody with eras can hear that Ringo had a great feel. He and Paul drive those songs in the most beautiful way and on the early stuff, where it's more straight forward, he socks the hell out of his drums. When those guys rock and roll, they really lay it down and a lot of it is Ringo.
  9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

That was actually a quote that's been attributed to John Lennon. It was Lennon that said Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles. That honor actually went to Paul McCartney, who I believe may have played some of the drums on The Beatles, aka The White Album.

Ringo got the gig because Pete Best's playing was deemed sub-par by George Martin at The Beatles first recording session for Parlophone. Martin wound up bringing in a session drummer for The Beatles first single, "Love me do". This move prompted the other Beatles and Brian Epstein to fire Best and bring on Ringo who had played with The Beatles as a sub during their time in Hamburg.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    He did what was right for the songs. Never anything flashy and one of the best keepers of time to ever sit behind a drum kit.