1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

BBE Bmax versus Tech 21 Samsamp RPM

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Brazilian_bass, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Brazilian_bass

Brazilian_bass

Hello Guys

I'v been reading a lot of posts about several preamp "tastes", better choices (very personal...),etc......

I'd like to give a try on one and for $ reason, I'm gonna try to stick to BBE Bmax or Tech 21 Samsamp RPM.

Comparisons between one or another?
    Also I'd like to receive some recommendations.........

Thanks !

P.S. I know you guys have been discussing this so many times..... please give me some help though.........

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I have the pedal version of the Tech 21 RPM and an updated Bmax. I have used the Bmax a lot with a Crest CA6 and an SWR goliath II. The Bmax got used mostly for slap, which it was very good for. I am not a big fan of the Fender-style tone stack but it was OK. The compressor is good and is probably one of the features where it differs most from the RPM. There is also the built-in Sonic Maximizer, which is a fancy contour control which can give you some usable variation if used with restraint. The BBE Bmax is clean, but not sterile. It can be though of as a fender dual-showman pre with compression and a cool contour effect.

The RPM I have has been used more as a preamp for upright or passive electrics. It like it a great deal for it's parametric mids and blendable drive. There is a small amount of compression claimed for the drive feature, but it is NOT a compressor. The RPM is better for warming up a thin passive bass, or for bringing the best out of a piezo equipped instrument, it also can get plenty dirty gritty.

I'd look at the A R T tube pre, too. The old Fender Pre's are great. too. Go to this site for sound clips of lots of pre amps: http://basstasters.com/

http://basstasters.com/preamps/BBE_B-Max.html
    http://basstasters.com/preamps/ART_Tube_Channel.html (there is a new version of this)
    http://basstasters.com/preamps/Fender_TBP-1.html

3. kapaauguy

kapaauguy

I just sold a BBE BMax-T so i could get an RPM. IMO the BBE had basically one sound with limited tone shaping capabilities. The one sound was really, really good. warm and pillowy with great articulation and deep low end. I wanted more variety and the RPM gives plenty of that and sounds fantastic. I always struggle to easily find a great tone with a Fender tone stack (BBE) so the RPM is much easier for me to work with. Do like everyone else around here...buy one and flip it when you get bored...then get the other. lol

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I think I'd take the RPM over the Bmax. What instruments, amp and cabinets are you using? BTW, all the Brazilians I have met have been gentle, articulate, and warm.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brazilian_bass

Brazilian_bass

Thanks again Jimm for your words..... I'm from Brazil but have been living here in USA (GA) since 2008. BTW, I've just came back from your page! I liked it a lot......I was listening to : I found my Mojo! Really great!!

I have a 92 Fender Prodigy 4str, a 07 Warwick LTD Flamim blonde 5str and a 08 Warwick Corvette $$ 5str. To push them I use a SVT3PRO + SVT15E + SVT410. I also use a litlle bit of compression(just a bit.....) from a BOSS ME50B.

I do appreciate your posts and will keep them in mind(I love to learn..really).

Thanks again!

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I deleted a few comments in this thread. Please remember Rule #1 here on TalkBass.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I own an RPM but there is a BBE listed in the classifieds for $100 and change. Not mine and not a shill.

Riis

9. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I had a RPM, a RBI and a VTRM. Great stuff. The back of the units are set up very nice too. Great people to deal with too.

10. Implosion

Implosion

I used to own both of them. Actually I sold the BBE to finance the purchase of the RPM, but I ended up selling that as well.

The BBE had good cleans, but couldn't do anything else (i.e. overdrive, distortion). Also the Fender(?) tone stack was something to get used to and the Sonic Maximizer part was...well...a maximizer :) I don't have any recollections of the compressor, so i guess it wasn't bad or good.

The RPM was more versatile and seems to get a lot of love here. Much more tone shaping options and it could do clean, overdrive and distortion. It just wasn't for me because I seem to like the Bass Driver / RBI better. Actually I've owned different versions of the Bass Driver three times, so it's a love/hate thing.

But if I now had to choose between those two then I would get the RPM. Definitely.

11. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

i use a BDDI when I go to practice, the guitard's son has a fender rumble w the 2x10. I go right into the effects return pretty nice sound.