BBE OptiComp (Newest Version) Observation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lefty007, Mar 21, 2014.

1. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

Just got one of these, the new silver version, and bummer, it has an artifact on the initial note that makes it unusable. Obviously, a manufacturing defect. I checked my bass (tried a few), the cable, and made sure all the levels were right (not overloading the input) and there is a very obvious glitch, like a click every time a pluck a note.

And I got this because my EBS compressor is coming apart: the active/passive switch broke and know I have to dissemble the darn thing to switch modes.

Shame on you, manufacturers, for making crappy products!

So, if you are getting a new BBE Opti, make sure you have a warranty and return policy in place.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I got an email from somebody else last week saying the same thing. So it looks like the newer version is a dud. I also suspect they are planning on discontinuing it altogether, but BBE has not responded to any of my emails.

Check it out though--look for a used Budda Chakra. Similar price to the BBE, but better features and no glitches. Review to be posted soon.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Seems like BBE pedals get worse and worse with each new release.
  4. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

bongomania, can you confirm that the Buddha has a battery cover for easy battery changes?

I've been looking everywhere for a comp that has one, but so far I've only found the Boss LMB-3, and the BBE mentioned. I really dislike having to unscrew the back plate of any pedal to change batteries, and I don't have pedalboard, it's only bass>comp>amp, so battery operation is a must for me. I'd hate to have to bring a transformer just for a comp.

Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Looks like it does....not.

[​IMG]

The only pedals I've seen with battery doors are BBE and the uber cheap $20 Joyo type stuff. I'm sure there are more though.

Sounds like you need one of these:
    http://pedaltrain.com/products/power/volto.php
    Portable pedal power.

Or one of these:
    http://www.redwitchpedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28&Itemid=47
    Runs off of it's own internal battery.

Or one of these:
    http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Black-Plastic-9-Volt-Battery-Holder-p/610-100912.htm
    Just solder the wires to a plug for your pedal and you're good to go.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Can confirm it does NOT.

My Smoothie pedal does have a battery door, but it costs more and is out of stock for another month or so.
  8. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    I have seen this type of ‘click’ when the opto gain cell has drifted outside of its normal operating parameters. I have had a handful of opto’s, out of thousands, that have ‘clicked’ because of this type of failure. When I have had these opto failures they seem to be from the same manufacturing lot of opto’s.

There is also the possibility that the “attack” of that compressor is too fast for your signal. A too fast and deep attenuation can cause audible artifacts.

-Frank