BBE Opto Stomp - HORRIBLE CLICK!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tch90, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tch90

tch90

I just bought a BBE Opto Stomp compressor from a fellow TB'er and I'm a little disappointed with what I got. There's a nasty pop that occurs whenever I press the footswitch and I was not notified of this prior to purchase.

I was wondering if any other users have had this problem and if it's something fixable.

If not, should I demand a return or something along those lines with the TB'er?

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Before you're positive it's a defect you need to troubleshoot. What power supply are you using? have you tried it with just a 9v battery?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Does it sound the same as the usual "true bypass" pop? Is that something you're familiar with? Do you have other true bypass pedals?

4. tch90

tch90

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and tried with a 9v. the pop still occurs. I was first using a onespot as a power source and that was popping too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tch90

tch90

I've read up on it after I started hearing the pop with the BBE. I own a Way Huge Swollen Pickle and to my knowledge that is a treu bypass as well. I tested that out again to see if I'm getting the pop. i think I may hear it, but it's very faint and not as pronounced as the BBE. So honestly I can't say for sure if the Swollen Pickle is giving it off.

Can you tell me a little more about what to hear for in a true bypass pop?

7. ManuelJG

ManuelJG

Engage it and disengage it a couple of times after you power it up and hear if it calms the pop a bit.

8. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Exactly. The reason TBP pops is because of charge built up on one side of the switch, that gets released when you click the switch. Not all TBP switches pop to the same extent, because they can be made with a pull-down resistor or other tricks for draining off the charge. But if the pedal still pops just as loudly even after clicking the switch a few times, then there is some other reason for the noise.

9. odineye

odineye Gold Supporting Member

+1

I have to do this with my Optostomp, and have just gotten into the habit of cycling all my TBP pedals upon power up.

10. tch90

tch90

I went ahead and tried this a few times. I must have clicked on and off at least 12 times. I'm using a 9v battery.

Another thing I noticed is I'm getting a lot of fuzz that gets louder and softer when the pedal is plugged in. Is that something characteristic of TBP's as well?

11. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Nope. Sounds like your problem is not the switch.

12. tch90

tch90

Gahhh... is this something I should take up with the seller?

13. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Does the fuzz change in a way that follows the notes you play?

14. tch90

tch90

It's happening when I don't play anything and the pedal is on. I'm checking all my power sources now, just to cover my basis. I spoke with service at BBE and they think I may need a new switch.

15. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

I don't know much about theory and I'm not familiar with the pedal in question, but I'm wondering if it's possible that there isn't any failure here? I have a chain of about eight true bypass pedals, and there's always slight popping noise, which as mentioned above can be eased out by clicking, but which is always there in some cases (pedals from EBS and EWS). And regarding the mentioned "fuzz", is it possible that it could just be the noise that is pretty much always present when a compressor is engaged? I believe my Compressor (Empress) is supposed to be very low noise, but there's always a bit of added noise when it's on.

A good thing is that neither the pops nor the added noise bothers me the slightest when playing in a band - I only notice it at home where I can get some cool delays out of the popping:)

16. ManuelJG

ManuelJG

Did you check your cable? it may be causing unwanted noises... may not be the cable but worth trying...

17. tch90

tch90

If that is the case, does the pop have any negative effects on my amp or cab? I know if there is some significant power issue that it could cause damage, but if it's because of the True bypass, is it something I should worry about?

18. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

Certainly not IF it's just a noisy true bypass. Then it's just a question of whether it's too annoying. It's kind of a paradox with true bypass that being a perfectionist about tone entails that you must accept the noises that usually comes with the standard switches.