1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BBE Sonic Maximizer: Love Hate?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TrevorCJ, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

I used to run a BBE Sonic Maximizer, I thought it made my bass sound AMAZING. Until I played without it, and I realized it worked like a bandaid, covering up what I couldnt fix myself at the time, how do you guys on TB feel?
  2. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

I tried the SM when I was fairly new to bass playing. It took me about 2 weeks to hate it.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Love it solo, hate it in a mix.
  4. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

$49 bucks today Wednesday Stupid Deal of Day musiciansfriend
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Great for vocals, not so much for bass, IMO.
  6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Only real application for one of these is a DJ gig, honestly. Does nothing to me for bass tone.
  7. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Its basically just a really big, expensive 2 band eq.

Dont waste your money. Whenever I see one of these units i know the owner bought some snake oil ;)
  8. tk4207

tk4207

Used in large doses, yes, it might seem like a snake oil 2-band eq, but if you dial it back and use just a touch of it, it adds presence and rounds out the bass in a way that no other equipment I've used can. I have the hardware version, but I also purchased the plugin version to use with my DAW, and in small doses on the master buss it gives my mix a little extra "oomph" and clarity. Just my two cents.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I like a little on a stereo mixdown of electronic music, but I do not think it's worth anything on bass guitar.
  10. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I liked the plugin version too much, actually. When I discovered it I'd just add the plugin to every single track in a mix.

Then I got tired and went back to regular EQ. :D
  11. Tuned

Tuned

It works by delaying everything below 2kHz by 2ms (so treble hits first) and an eq boost centered at 10kHz. It's intended to compensate for treble transient delay when micing a speaker, and it does make a considerable difference. On anything but guitar you should compare it against just a 10kHz EQ boost. Much of its "advantages" are from convincing people to ignore the fact that EQ boosting is to be avoided in favor of mic technique. I stopped using it years ago, would never use it on bass.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I use a rackmount. Sparingly. Sometimes.
  13. FlatFive

FlatFive

Love it. Best investment I ever made with an "effect." In fact, it should not sound like a effect at all. It simply adds clarity and punch.

i leave it on all the time. I think most people use it incorrectly or OVER use it, in which case you'd be better off without it.

I also use the plug in for recording and it simply makes EVERYTHING sound better -- guitar drums, vocals. Don't believe those who say it's just a highs and lows boost. It is not.
  14. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

I use it to DJ. I never thought about using it playing bass. Might have to try that.
  15. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

I used the one in my BMax preamp when I ran that years ago and it was okay. Cranking it gives you a nice mid-scoop, but I can see how just a pinch could seem to make a positive difference. That said, I sold it and haven't thought twice.