BBM Pi too "boomy"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denver Max, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Denver Max

Denver Max

I know this isnt everyone's favorite fuzz, and for good reason, but until my other pedals arrive I'm stuck with it. Anyway, I've been playing it through a Squier jazz and I've had no problems, but I got a Jaguar and the P pickup sounds amazing through it on every string, EXCEPT the e string, which is pretty crucial. It just gets too boomy. Its bassy, but not in a good way. It loses definition and sounds like mud. I've tried it on multiple settings, and its either the same problem, or there's no bass at all. Through the other pickup, its much clearer and more defined, but loses bass. This isn't a problem playing clean, and I don't have any other pedals to compare it to ATM. Some differences that could be part of the issue:
    Jazz bass has flatwounds, jag has round.
    Jass pickups versus p/j combo
    Full size versus short scale

I've noticed the pickups are a lot closer to the strings than on my jazz bass, and I've tried lowering them, but I don't know how far they can go.

Sorry for the long post. Anyone have any experience? I'm planning on getting a Grey Stache to replace this, and I have a couple other things coming soon, but in the meantime, I'd like to fix this. Its no fun when your new bass sounds like crap through your only fuzz.

2. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I find that pedal to be a lost cause, its just a box of mud really.

Selling it and moving onto a more accurate clone of a sovtek era muff really is the best course of action.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

I agree just sell it. It sounds so thin compared to the real green russian muff.

4. Denver Max

Denver Max

I would sell it, but I doubt anyone wants it. Its a sub par pedal in not great shape. The Grey Stache is my favorite muffy fuzz I've heard and the Pi will get booted very soon.

5. Register to disable this ad