BBNE1/BBeast Internal Preamp Settings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BBeasty, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BBeasty

BBeasty

Hey Guys!
    Looking for some suggested starter settings for the internal preamp. I'm shooting for a versatile setup on EQ1&2 and I don't want to cut myself short on other tones by over or under adjusting. But more importantly the Total Output setting would be of more concern. I'm hoping some of you have found a sweet spot with these settings.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Hiya - when I had my BBEAST stock, I basically preferred the mid switch on the FLAT setting, and maybe slightly boosted the Treble a bit if required. I didn't care for the scooped or boosted mid settings, although you can adjust what frequencies are cut/boosted using dials inside the control cavity. I found the amount of boost/cut from the 3 position mid switch never worked for me - YMMV. I also didn't like the fact that the BASS control when boosted added noise - I can see that from Treble, but never experienced that with a BASS boost before.

Disclaimer - I have replaced the pickups and preamp with 2 EMG 45JX and a BQ 3 way pre with sweepable mids and am much more happy with the sound. Great bass, I just didn't love the stock electronics.

If you ever decide to swap the preamp - good luck - the dummy coils in each of the stock J style pickups is integrated with the preamp, so trying to replicate that with another pre is a challenge at best.

J

3. BBeasty

BBeasty

Hey Jamie! Just curious, what is your dominant playing style and tone? Fingers or pick? Grit,Growl or clean? I'm relatively new to playing bass and mostly recording at the moment or trying to. It's just all too often that I'm realizing that alot of my tone, really depends on the way I'm hitting or plucking the string with my finger. I like a clean tone and that's the reason I ask about yours. I appreciate your info and apologize for the delayed response. Oh! got any clips with your BBeast?

4. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Howdy - I play funk/R&B/groove oriented stuff primarily. Fingers and some slap. CLEAN and sometimes growly, but always with a low-mid punch. I love the tones I can get out of the JX set in my BBEAST - DCX sounds good too (have that in my other Yamaha 5). YMMV of course since the hands have (or should have) a lot to do with it. As mentioned, the stock electronics didn't wow me, the preamp in particular. But the BBEAST bass itself from a build and play-ability perspective is fantastic.

Don't have any clips but have been meaning to setup for doing that. In the meantime, sometime this week I'll do some crappy webcam clip to give you a sense of what the bass sounds like with the EMG setup.

Cheers,

J

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BBeasty

BBeasty

Alright JK! Thanks for the info, every little bit helps. I think at the moment I'm ok with the scooped setting due to the fact that my technique isn't very polished. Seems natural for begginers to leave the mids low due to the lack of control in their technique. Well at least in my limited experience.

Got a couple more questions and I'll stop bugging ya. What acceptable settings did you find in terms of action and relief? Thanks again for any info!