BC Rich Mockingbird Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hot Stove, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Hot Stove

Hot Stove

Hi all

One particular bass which really amazes me is the BC Rich Mockingbird Bass (dual p pickups). Nigel Griggs from Split Enz has drawn me to it.

In terms of how it sounds, I have seen You tube reviews of the Mbird but they were hardly comprehensive and did not really do any justice of how it truly sounds, I believe.

So I have a question to ask the Mockingbird users, does the neck pick up soloed sound like a fender precision? I have a feeling the bridge pickup sounds similar to a jazz although probably rounder.

Are there any good sound examples on the net somewhere? I would like to hear sounds of the mbird neck pickup soloed, the bridge pickup soloed and both pickups on. I am talking about the mbirds with dual p pickups not the PJ or MM versions. Perhaps if somebody has the time (I know time is an issue) they could probably upload some sound examples.

Cheers.
    carsbybigd likes this.
  2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Nice video ^^. Not a Mockingbird, but an excellent example of what it sounds like.

If you're looking for a Mock like Griggs played, you're looking at a late-70's/early 80's US-made model. To the best of my knowledge, BC Rich didn't make a p/j in those days. Definitely didn't make a model with an MM pickup. The new BCRich basses are not the same as the vintage BCRich instruments. The vintage BCRich's are boutique quality, high end instruments and are expensive compared to the Asian-made guitar they're making today.
    carsbybigd likes this.
  4. mournblade

mournblade

The vast majority of vintage B.C. rich basses are going to cop that tone. The first clip is a Koa Wave (good luck getting one of those ), but the Mockingbird or Eagle will give you the same basic tone (bass wise anyways, Jerry Preston has magic funk fingers).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hot Stove

Hot Stove

Yeh. Thanks for posting that vid. That BC rich sounds great. Sounds alot like a fender jazz to my ears.

Now. One question unanswered. Does the BC rich mockingbird neck pickup soloed sound like a fender precision?
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

First of all I love Mockingbird too

Unfortunately I can't afford one yet

I'd love to grab me a red one, dual split pickup of course, and it's a pity, for it's pricer than the blacky version.
    View attachment 310237

Same blacky version I once tried out. As I owned a Fender BlackTop Jazz, which is none other than a MIM Jazz body (the shape I prefer from Fender's) with dual split pickups, I think I know well that kinda sonic approach

The bridge split pickup sounds much spicier than a regular Jazz single bridge one, and the neck split, if soloed, is the closest you can get to a Precision sound, from a definitely non Precision bodyshape and tonewoods.

The fact that Fender BlackTop is passive while BC Rich Mb isn't determine a merely difference in "rounder" sound for Mockingbird, with the BlackTop stayin' a bit punchier.

Usually I opt for the best soundin' links, tunewise
    This time I opted for a mess up guitar sound link, to let the round bass sound I talked about come out clear.

Don't know your precise musical tastes, yet as I love Whitesnake, whenever I think of a Mockingbird sound, I remind
    Neil Murray.

This is 4/6 of the best Whitesnake line up ever

David Coverdale on vocals
    John Sykes on lead guitar
    (Mel Galley on lead guitar) rip
    (Don Airey on keyboards)
    Neil Murray on bass guitar
    Cozy Powell on the drums rip

Enjoy

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

I had a Koa 1980 'bird and an '83 NJ series. The koa one had a neck issue and the NJ one just flat out rocked. The ONLY reason I sold it was because it wasn't getting much attention considering the style I have been playing the past few years, but it killed, great tone, great feel.

Used it here, no pedals, just straight through a Mesa Boogie Mpulse 600 and Powerhouse 1000 cabinet: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrh7vCnVf2U
  9. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

How do mean exactly? You can get both ends of the spectrum from a P, from clack to dub, so which P sound are you expecting to hear?

I have an '80 Mock with double DiMarzio reverse P's. The pickups can be run parallel or series, passive or active through the varitone, in or out of phase. Somewhere in there I'm betting it'll get the sound you're thinking of.

I can't speak for the newer versions.
    carsbybigd likes this.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The quality of the bass sound in that video is excellent. My guess, though, is that the pickups in his bass were changed to EMG's.
  11. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

What's a decent 'early '80's 'Mock worth these days*? White finish w/walnut rails, full electronics in VGC?

* (not because I have one, but want one)
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

If you're looking for a bass like that, you should budget $1,500. You may get it for less, but you need to be in that range or you'll be looking forever.

*as a supporting member, you can ask "how much is this bass worth?" questions all day!
  13. Hot Stove

Hot Stove

I was more referring to a regular p bass with the tone up full. The Jean-Jacques Burnel (stranglers) sound. The clack so to speak. I was wondering due to the Mbird's differing body shape and difference in pickup placements (to the fender p) would its (mockingbird) neck pickup soloed sound similar to the fender p or does the mbird neck pickup sound more like a Gibson EBO?
  14. JustGer

JustGer

This has really changed my mind about BC Riches! I went off them as soon as I stopped playing metal.
    I've a 5 string Warlock, might surprise my band at our gig tonight :p
  15. Hot Stove

Hot Stove

Never got into Whitesnake (More post punk, new wave, punk industrial, goth sort of thing) but the bass does sound beautiful. I guess hearing the modern asian build Bc rich basses on you tube, the later sound kind of tinny compared to the earlier models. I wonder if a custom built fender dual p bass with a pre-amp is a better option than today's BC riches?
  16. Wallace320

Wallace320

But if you don't mind the shape and a more traditional one also appeals to you ('cause for instance I even like the shape of the Mockingbird bass) then I really think you should take Fender BlackTop Jazz into consideration.
    View attachment 310382
    I once had the White Chrome Pearl one for reasons I find no room here to explicate, but the all black one could fit your look needs good (yet stayin' "conformist" in a way) while the dual split pickups can be, in the case you now displayed, upgraded with some b-t circuit active electronics - thus turnin a classic V/V/T into a V/B/b-t (concentric) control plate.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  17. mournblade

mournblade

Nothing wrong with the moden B.C Rich's, especially the handmades. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.
  18. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Just picked one up for $1500
  19. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have a black '81 Mockingbird. Found it recently, in perfect condition. Plays very well, better than I ever expected and I am getting a wide range of P Sounds out of it. I mean, come on, look at all the dials and switches on the thing. So to answer the OPs question, "yes", dial up the neck PU and adjust it to whatever edge of "P" that you would like. But I tell yea, untill I picked this one up, I never heard a bass like this. This is my sound!
  20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

This is my Mock on the left (obviously). The pickups were swapped out to EMG's, but it sounds and plays fantastic. It's also very rare, as it has a maple fretboard.

[​IMG]
    carsbybigd and marko57 like this.
  21. mournblade

mournblade

Nice Axes man!