BDI21 modifications

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Dec 21, 2013.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I was thinking about getting another Sansamp BDDI since I used to have one, and I even drew up my own vero layout for it and was just going to build one, but after looking at their schematics & features, i realized that there are a couple of pedals that share the same circuit, namely, the Behringer BDI21 ($39 vs $199 for the sansamp) and DR. J sparrow bass driver ($140), so I just took a chance on the BDI21 for $39 shipped.

it just arrived today, and although I no longer have the BDDI to directly compared it to, it does seem to sound nearly identical as I remember. IMO, probably the biggest difference is due to the BDDI using a TL074 and a TLC2264 chip (for IC2) as opposed to the BDI21 using two TL074's, but I have nothing against TL074's ;).

my biggest complaint with the BDDI (and the BDI21),while they can be adjusted to sound really nice stock, is that they just scoop the mids too much for my taste, so I ended up modding the BDI21 with two toggle switches.

[​IMG]

the first switch on the left, switches between stock (down) and removing one of the two notch filters in the drive circuit (up). the other switch just switches between stock, and adding a bit of the lost upper mids that these pedals are known for. the second switch is subtle but it is effective. for me, the mods really made the pedal a lot more versatile and basically made it a completely different sounding pedal when they're engaged, making it much more versatile for me.

[​IMG]

I first bought the Behringer with the intention of rehousing it in a 1590BB, but it's build quality is actually pretty good so I decided not to. and, IMO, the SMD components used and circuit layout are as good as any of 99% of other current pedals that use SMD components.

2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

You are a mad scientist John. I have two questions. Does your modded pedal hiss like the BDDI? Would you mod one to match yours if I sent it to you?

3. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    both BDDI's and the BDI21 will hiss if you crank the gain, treble and gain way up, but I don't find it to be noisier than any other pedal.

and yeah, I can mod yours if you want me to.
    it's kind of a beocth because I also had to replace one of the 220uf filter caps so the switches will fit where I located them.

4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Thanks. I have a buddy who has one. I'll send him your info.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Mad science, indeed. In sound comparisons of both i actually prefer the BDI21, even stock. Doesn't have a signature tone as baked in, aside from the EQ.

You didn't even want to swap the switch? I haven't owned one, but that seemed to me the sketchiest part when I was checking it out.

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Wow, you just fried my brain.

I have a BDI21, too, and pretty much use it only as a DI, never actually engaged. The mid scoop does nothing for me, so I stopped using it as an effect. This is a really cool mod.

8. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, the mod is the only way that I run it if I want to use distortion.

9. dune2k

dune2k

Same with the BDDI: Use the Blend knob and run Treble/Bass around 10 o'clock and you'll have all the mids you need. :)
    Aside from that: While being on the hunt for a Preamp/DI I also ordered the BDDI while having the BDI21 around. The voicing is the same, the only difference is heard when using distortion. The BDDI sounds less shrill and like clipping OpAmps which results in a more tubey sound.

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Wow, I like that mod idea - I wish my BDDI had a mid bump switch too.

11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I just modded mine with the two switches. The mid switch is quite dramatic. The notch pretty subtle but useful. I may work on the mid switch to make it adjustable.