BE AWARE!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by starmann, Feb 12, 2013.

1. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Hey fellow TB'rs.

I figured I would post this warning about something I received.

I have an item for sale and received a PM from a Brand New user with 0 posts and of course 0 feedback.

The text was very close to a "craigslist" scam post.

I replied back and said I would be happy to sell it with a USPS MO like I always do and have buyers that will "vouch" they get exactly what I stated.

Needless to say he "backed out".

I was looking through the classifieds and noticed another PM from a Brand new user on someones item, although a different user name.

We all need to be aware as is the reason for this post...BE CARFULL.:bassist:
  2. Sywannab

Sywannab Supporting Member

Typical features of this type of scam:
    1. They say that they will send a certified check and will wait till it is cleared
    2. They pretend to be nice people. If you response their emails, they will say "I appreciate your prompt response"
    3. They are always out of town, out side of the US, ministry mission
    4. They will send a "mover" to pick it up. The actual buyer never comes.
    5. You can't reach them by phone call. Only email (or PM here)
    6. They ask "Full names, Full home address, City, State & zip code, Tel #.
    7. They are worse than crap.
  3. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

I have also noticed that these folks come with two first names. What do I mean?

Robert James
    John Peter
    Richard Phillip

really? :confused:

The emails are usually pretty easy to pick out.. the names I noticed after a few received on CL..

There is a shameful rock from under which these scammers reside. :spit:

Truthfully that is only why I sell bass equipment here - I have never had a bad experience.. It's maddening one of the bad guys got through tho.

Tar and feather seems appropriate.
  4. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

These assho*es seem to be PM ing. And they are getting pretty good with their text. Mine gave it away as he offered to pay $50 more for insurance.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidjbass

davidjbass Supporting Member

Nothing is sacred anymore. Even here on TB. Thanks for the heads up.
  7. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

Probably getting to the point where we'd either need to get a recco from an existing TB'r or not sell to someone unless they had 2-3 feedback hits.

Makes you feel like someone invaded our sanctuary.
  8. olebe

olebe

I so agree with you guys! Im really into TB, but I find it hard to buy a bass here! I am from Europe, I actually have two first names, and I find myself being a kind guy - trying to write proper English.
    Hehe, is there any hope for me? Hate those scams! Important warning, starbass!
  9. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

I think it should come down to sale and trades for supporting members only.
  10. olebe

olebe

Oh, sorry - starmann!
  11. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

They are also fishing to get your email address to bombard you with spam. Thats what happened to me when I sent a "0" feedback user additional pics of an item from my personal email.
  12. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    Yes....

And what's really sad here is that they take advantage of these elderly folks and people with a diminished mental capacity. They know that at some point they'll find a victim they can exploit. That's why they continue trying this.

Sometimes I wish I had a virus I could send them to disable their computer. Something that would really make life tough on them. You know what I mean, when they ask for my pay pal and personal info, I respond please open this secure attachment and give it an enticing title like: "Pay Pal, Banking and other Personal Information".

That would be my bomb! End of story.
  13. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Have to be honest - it is very rare I will sell to someone with no feedback, especially someone who joined just to message me. Too much risk involved.
  14. Greg_S

Greg_S Gold Supporting Member

OK guys, for those with the luxury of having been here a while and have built up a deep and good feedback rating, how would suggest someone get started here?

I got lucky on my first transaction as the other party was near where I lived, and I got my feedback start that way, but if we go off of some of this advise being given nobody new will be allowed to participate. Remember, you all had to start at zero too!

I think being cautious is fine, being paranoid is unnecessary. The scams are pretty obvious and giving cautionary stories is fine, but harshly blocking all newcomers is silly.
  15. Fat240

Fat240 Supporting Member

I tend to look at the persons profile and history. If they are active on the forum and participating, it makes it eaiser to deal with them. I know that sometimes it is difficult to get feedback from people since it involves copying the URL and a lot of people use mobile.
  16. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I'd like to see someone with a forum history at least. If you have a zero rating but 300 legitimate posts, that's better IMO than someone who just signed up today to PM me. After all, if I wanted to sell my bass to non-TB members it would be on Ebay, not the TB Classifieds.

The way I look at it, TB is the great community it is because by and large people can be trusted, and a single negative score could be enough to cause you problems for good.

So one can't simply expect to walk into a trustworthy community and be accepted without establishing some credibility first. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure there are plenty of guys here willing to sell to unknown members if they get their price. I'm not one of them. Stuff like pedals and lower priced stuff, maybe. But definitely not a bass.

When I see a member with a 0 rating, 4 posts and a join date of 10-12-06, I don't see someone who wants to be part of or cares about the TB community.
  17. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

I've asked for other things that I can verify. Social media user info like LinkedIn, or eBay history, anything that checks out via my own due diligence to get a sense of who the person really is. I've sold a few basses here to people with zero/limited feedback and deals went smooth.
  18. Greg_S

Greg_S Gold Supporting Member

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but I respectfully disagree with your position. You obviously can decide to refuse to sell, or buy, from anyone you feel uncomfortable with, but I think it's grossly unfair to make the statement that you just did "... one can't simply expect to walk into a trustworthy community and be accepted without establishing some credibility first..." I did! Aside from a background check, I'm not sure what your suggesting can be done nor am I sure you can see how many posts, legitimate or not, that someone has made! Be cautious for sure, but to exclude in this manner is discouraging. I'm 54 years old, own several homes, am financially very secure and if the people who dealt with me were to have excluded me the way your suggesting means they would have missed out on my legitimate dealing. Your cutting off your nose to spite your face!

I'm not trying to brag, I'm simply telling you that I am a good guy and a viable trading source, but you'll never know that about anyone if we all had to live up to your requirements! No where in my paid subscription was I asked to prove my trustworthiness or ability to pay someone, but I clearly am good on both accounts.

I don't have any suggestions on how you can trust people but what's worked for me is to simply trust my gut. It never fails. I can sniff out a bad deal a mile away. And by the way, good people can go bad too, even those with previously good feedback. The one thing Ebay has going for it is their supposed Buyer Protection program and purchasing structure with PayPal. Even with those tools, I've been burned there with bogus pictures and descriptions. PayPal and Ebay both turned their backs on me and refused to assist. Thats why I turned to TB because I sincerely believe most, if not all here are honest to deal with.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Already you cannot sell without a supporting membership. I think it's going too far to expect that you cannot buy without one. It not only hurts the guy buying, but the guy selling as well. Having just recently upgraded my account and having only 3 feedback, I can empathize with folks who don't do a whole lot of wheeling and dealing. I will admit though, I have never bought anything from someone without a supporting membership and feedback. Usually my transactions entail me sending a MO and the seller shipping when they receive it. I have PayPal now though.

I would be extremely leery dealing with someone who hasn't been around here awhile though.
  20. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Isn't the Feedback rating for anything at all?
  21. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

just move to canada, many don't want to sell to canucks. nothing worst than having cash and a good rep, but living in a poor location. well ok there are several things worst.