1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BEAD and mics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEUS IRAE, Jan 7, 2013.

1. DEUS IRAE

DEUS IRAE

1) Does the B string sound the same in a 4-strings bass and in a 5 one?
    My guess is that the major mass of the 5 improve the sound of the B.

2) Are pick-ups optimized for a EADG intonation or it's indifferent?
    No guess here :D

Thanks

Edit: I meant pick-ups, but wrote mics...
  2. Emibass

Emibass

it´s indiferent. IMHO
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo

1) The basses are not identical so the sound will not be 100% identical. That being said, if the basses are identical in every way, except that one has 4 strings and the other has 5 strings, they should sound pretty close. :)

2) If you are looking for a "flat" frequency response, then definitely you will want a mic that can capture the extended frequency response of the 5 strings. However, most engineers do not record the bass "flat." See our Recording sub forum for some good advice how to record your bass (or just hire a pro engineer for your first recording so you get an idea how it works).
  4. DEUS IRAE

DEUS IRAE

The mics that Im talking about are the ones on the bass ;)
  5. Emibass

Emibass

normally the mics on the bass are called pick-ups....that´s why the misunderstood....I think
  6. DEUS IRAE

DEUS IRAE

Sorry, my mistake. I speak spanish.. :meh:
  7. Emibass

Emibass

:) yo tambien!
  8. Mushroo

Mushroo

Hola amigo!

No es necesario differente "pickups" para EADG o BEAD.
  9. Emibass

Emibass

Hola! Asi es, no es necesario cambiar las pastillas (pickups) para afinar en BEAD. Las pastillas (pickups) de un bajo de 5 cuerdas son las mismas que uno de 4 con la diferencia que son mas anchas para acomodar 5 cuerdas.
  10. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

^^^ This is why I love TB... people helping each other out on common ground.

If we had a ranking system, you sir would have a +1