BEAD Flatwound Strings: Tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by e-flat, Mar 20, 2014.

1. e-flat

e-flat

I've searched this topic & not come up with a direct match for my question, so don't grill me too hard if it's been covered :D

I'm building up my stable of basses as I get back in to bass playing after a 2 year hiatus.

I am starting plans for a dedicated BEAD tuned bass which will probably be a simple P Style build. I have gravitated toward Flatwounds and Tapewounds recently, and would like to stay on that course with this build.

If any of you guys run a BEAD 34" scale bass with flats or tapes, I'd love to hear any suggestions for strings that maintain a moderate tension .... Brands, gauges, and other insights would be helpful. On a four string EADG, I've dug Chromes & Labellas for flats, and love a set of La Bella White Nylons that I just got last week. I'd like to move more towards the La Bella tone for this bass, and stay out of Chromes tone (though its a cool sound!).

Thinking of building a custom set of La bella DTBs or GHS Precisions from Bass Strings Online.

Style-wise, I run the gamut from sparse & subtle singer-songwriter stuff, to roots rock to heavier rock styles, dub tones are common, and I often record basslines for friend's freaky hip hop projects.

Thanks for any input!