1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bearable christmas/holiday albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Nov 30, 2012.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

I have a retail job at an art supply store and they want xmas music this month.
    I get control of the stereo two days a week so I want to get some bearable playlists together.
    On the classical end I have:
    Bach: St. Matthew Passion
    Haydn: Last 7 words of Christ
    The Messiah
    I'd love more there.
    I have the John Fahey and John Zorn albums
    For Jazz:
    Charlie Brown
    Chet Baker
    Duke
    Ella
    Christmas with Dino
    I figure most of the singers made one. It looks like Johnny Hartman didn't.

Any more input would be great.
  2. isolated

isolated

Pretty sure Yule Struttin' is still in print. Other than it's Xmas music, there's not much to complain about on that record.
  3. kozmikyak

kozmikyak

The Corelli Christmas Concerto (actually, anything else in that set of concerti grossi would be nice and accessible)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Concerto_(Corelli)

Its subject matter is not Christmas, but lots of people associate Beethoven 9th Symphony with Christmas. Most people who make this association only think of the last movement, though.

Some people associate the "sleigh ride" (troika) movement of Prokofiev's Lt. Kije suite with Christmas. The rest of it doesn't match well, but if you could make a "mix CD" that movement is accessible and would go over nicely.

There's always the Nutcracker suite, but I personally find that just as annoying as the endless stream of pop-flavored carols that infest my ear canals this time of year.

Handel Messiah has a Christmas section in it and is indeed appropriate. St. Matthew Passion and Last 7 Words of Christ would be more along the lines of Easter music, would they not? But they're beautiful and are definitely related to Baby Jesus, so I'd say they're worthwhile to keep in the list.
  4. kozmikyak

kozmikyak

Bach put together a Christmas Oratorio that's actually closer to a Christmas theme than the Passion. It's BWV #248, and there are recordings of it out there. Bach actually assembled it from parts of other works he wrote, but it's rather nice.
  5. meandering

meandering

Not albums but "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is performed by Bill Evans (Trio '64 w/Peacock & Motian) and Paul Bley (Introducing PB, w/Mingus & Blakey).

"It's Christmas Time" is a unique Sun Ra original on the Singles which also has "Happy New Year To You".
  6. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Jack Sheldon........:D

7. MLysh

MLysh

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

Technically yes, but I am ready to stretch it for bearable music!
  9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

11. MLysh

MLysh

Actually, Diana Krall's Christmas CD is very good.
  12. damonsmith

damonsmith

I will check it out. I am more of an Album person, I don't want to chase down tracks, although I have the Evans and Bley albums.
  13. Don C

Don C

Oscar Peterson's Christmas CD is very good, and for that Motown flavor - try the California Raisins Christmas Album.

For something quite different you might like the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Albums, I believe there are 3 or 4 of them.
  14. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Man I could listen to Gregorian Chant music all day. Adoro Te Devote, Gloria in Excelsis, Kyrie... that stuff just resonates with me....
  15. damonsmith

damonsmith

Me too. I think I get it to count, not sure yet. Gesualdo, Perotin, that is some music...
  16. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Not to mention the Latin...absolutely beautiful. I've been digging this album O Lux Beatissima on Spotify.
  17. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I think these are great ideas!

But this is a trap, watch out! I'm not sure how these CDs made it into my folks' collection!
  18. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Just put on A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio and you will bring smiles to every customer one of the most underrated jazz albums and artists ever I play it year round.
  19. TimWatson

TimWatson

Sugarland's is good, Brad Paisley's is good, even if they are modern country. Harry Connick Jr. Is good. Latin, go find Caliente Christmas. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is awesome but not for everyone. +1 for all the Jazz ones mentioned.
  20. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

I always get a kick out of "Christmas on the Ponderosa" with the cast from Bonanza. It would work well in a retail space and for those who remember the show it will cause some smiles.