1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Beardly Customs FIRST commissioned build!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rick0link, Feb 21, 2013.

1. This is my FIRST commissioned build.The bass will be a 5 string with a bubinga body, 5 piece neck thru wenge/bubinga neck, 24 frets, 37" scale length, Pau Ferro fretboard, Bartolini pickups and preamp, and Hipshot tuners.

big slab o' bubinga
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the belt sander does wonders
    [​IMG]

Barts!
    [​IMG]

Wenge for the neck laminates and Pau Ferro for the fretboard
    [​IMG]

2. some progress pics

[​IMG]

until the bubinga for the neck arrives...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. 49sfine

49sfine Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Can you give us some details about how you set up to slot your frets and also, what miter box is that? Thanks - subbed ...

5. I use this website, http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/, and print out multi-page PDFs and put that on my fretboard. That miter box, its a nothing special box i got at Home Depot.

6. 49sfine

49sfine Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks! I'll give it a visit. I thought I saw your layout sheet taped to the board itself - neet. I'm curious though, what are you using to insure consistent depth of each fret slot?

7. For depth, i marked the saw so when the line gets to the top of the miter box, i stop.

8. For depth, i marked the saw so when the line gets to the top of the miter box, i stop.

9. For depth, i marked the saw so when the line gets to the top of the miter box, i stop.

10. got the headstock glued on today
    [​IMG]

11. got the fretboard glued on today
    [​IMG]

12. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Holy Weight Watchers, Batman!........With Bubinga and Wenge, that "bad boy" is definately going to be a heavy weight contender.

13. Oh my god yes! This thing as is weighs a ton! It's future owner said weight is not a factor. His back is stronger than mine!!

14. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Man this thing looks sweet!

15. Thanks!!

16. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    This is looking fantastic..!! that's gonna be one lucky first customer. And congratulations on your first commission :)

17. Thank you!! :)

18. subscribing! looking nice!

19. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got the neck and fret work done today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]