1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Beastie Boys "Gratitude" fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeleKing, Feb 1, 2013.

1. TeleKing

TeleKing

I'm not a bass player by trade. Guitar player, but play and record bass. I'm looking for a great bass fuzz/distortion I can use for recording.

What nails the Gratitude tone? Appreciate any comments.
  2. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    I'm at work at the moment so I can't look it up for you, but google Juan Alderete's effects website/blog. He did a short video segment on the exact pedal MCA used.
  3. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

4. sevdog

sevdog

I believe he used a Univox Superfuzz on Gratitude.
  5. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  6. sevdog

sevdog

7. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Juan also demoed a Univox Superfuzz in one of his Fuzz Wars segments. Not sure which one. In any case, you're sure to find some great fuzz suggestions at pedalsandeffects.com
  8. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Yeah, Gratitude and Sabotage were both old-school Univox Superfuzzes. There are quite a few clones that are in production nowadays.
  9. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    What are some popular examples?
  10. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

If you want a dead on clone, the Wattson FY-6 is the only way to go!
  11. fasto

fasto

I used to have the DNA Bass Dragger pedal and nailed the Gratitude tone with it ... but i kind of regret selling this rare pedal to someone in NYC who just broke his DNA pedal during a studio recording process, but i was glad i could help him out.

I´m currently building a Univox Superfuzz clone based on the schematic-layout of Mike Livesley (2008).

Also good results with the (new) MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe (going into Tech21 VT Bass).

RIP MCA, he inspired me on so many levels: love his tone, his bass-lines, his rap-voice, his attitude ...
  12. Backstreets

Backstreets Supporting Member

I would imagine the smallsound/bigsound Super Puzzle pedal would be a good modern Superfuzz variant, but I've yet to try one so I can't say for sure. Might be worth a look though. Anyone tried one of these, and know how it compares to an old Univox/Unicord Superfuzz?