1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

Beat to crap, but original 1978 fender musicmaster

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have 2 musicmasters, both identical in specs, but not in wear. This is the ugly sister,its been used and quite heeavily abused , yet its all intact ready to keep going. A true testament of the ability of these little but tough fenders.

The abuse is as follows, there is a chunk of pickguard missing at the tip by the jack, pretty common. The body has huge chips, dings and wear. I mean it has some huge chunks of paint missing that have exposed and dinged the wood underneath. The original knobs are gone, I will try to find a set of something to throw on before shipping. One pots shaft is bent, the tone pot but all the electronics are original and function fine. The neck has tons of dents and gashes on it , a small chunk of wood missing onthe edge by the 10th fret, I honestly was going to just sand the whole neck down, except the headstock face and tru oil it and fill any dings with wood filler and sand flush. The frets have a ton of life. 1 tuner is bent slightly. It has flats on it. I honestly feel sorry for this old bass, it needs someone thats going to put some time into it, despite how beat up it is its not some unuseable mess like this musicmasterand as you can see really rough ones are worth a decent amount as the value on these continues to climb,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I mean its not pretty, not at all but its all original. If you want a prettier one I have one for more thats currently posted.

This one is for the player or project minded person. Last year I saw a refinished musicmaster here, it heavily modded to the point that it didnt even have the correct tuners, it went for $325, so I think my asking price is pretty fair, its rare to find one for under $500 nowadays. I could be talked into parting it out if you were interested

[DEL]$425 [/DEL][DEL]$400[/DEL] 375 Shipped CONUS

I will get better pics tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PICTURES are shown as neck and body only as I wanted to show the wear and it was easier all torn apart, the bass is complete and fully playable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Think the chip was colored over with a green marker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jamesyeh

jamesyeh Supporting Member

Does it even work? Any problem to the sound?
  3. A-Step-Towards

Yep it works just fine it just spent way to much time in alocal punk band called radion and picked up alot of scars, there is no electronic issues, frets are in good shape and all that.
  4. A-Step-Towards

TTT as I stated i too photos of it totally apart so the damage was easier to see and photograph, as you can see its very beat up. Its totally playable though. The last picture shows a chunk of wood gone on the neck, its shallow but its a dime in size piece of wood gone. I would sand the back on the entire neck and fill the dings with wood filler and then tru oil it. I would also fill the fretboard marks.

I would be on the fence about refinising the body , but probably would just repaint it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Wow that's really sad that that MM was so abused. They are great basses and I own a 74'. It would be a great project bass but not one I would want. Good luck.
  8. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

My god.....that poor bass.....
  9. A-Step-Towards

Yep I feel for her, part of the reason I bought the thing. You should have seen all the equipment this "band" had, all of it trashed. They had guitars nailed to the walls, it was a horror show. This was considered average shape for there equipment. Now its been sitting in my guest room 3 months.

At this point with how trashed the finish is, do you guys think refinishing it would hurt the value? with most fenders it would, but honestly I think at this stage it would increase the value or at least not hurt it. I have some good ideas of what I would like to do.
  10. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS Supporting Member

Dude, that looks almost as bad as when my 130lbs American Bulldog chewed my Sadowski. I was soooo mad that I just started laughing. GLWTS
  11. A-Step-Towards

Wow Id be pissed, thats a spendy loss!
  12. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Ill be lingering around this thread in case the price drops! I dig it, just no budget for it right now.
  13. A-Step-Towards

14. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

There's a kind of inimitable beauty to basses like these. I had a pristine '78 for a while and I much prefer the look of this one. Free bump! And the price! You're buying the sound of the Jackson 5 with this bass!
  15. A-Step-Towards

Thanks!

Lowered the price to $400 shipped, the lowest I have seen one go for recently is posted above and that one was way more gone then this. This is a project bass, it will need work but mainly just time.
  16. dcurran

dcurran Supporting Member

17. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Don't change anything! If the bass plays and the pup works, play it! MHO Bump. Cool bass!
  18. A-Step-Towards

It plays for sure, its up to the new owner to give it TLC or not.
  19. A-Step-Towards

20. A-Step-Towards

21. Vakmere

Vakmere

Frets are in good shape and all that? Bet it plays like batter...er...butter to. Sid Vicious special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.