Beaten Rickenbackers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Mar 12, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Anyone got any pics? Looking at getting a new(used) bass for a project I have been invited to take part in. It will get marked and banged heavily is the downside. Rickenbackers are my bass of choice but I would hate to see my current one taking that sort of beating. Too much sentimental value. Reasons aside... show me your well worn ricky's..
  2. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

A Chinese fake might not elicit hesitation to beat it up....
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Deliberately bashing up a musical instrument as part of some kind "art" performance is disgusting and childish. If the project is that important and valuable, build a stage prop.

Edit:
    If I'm misunderstanding what your potential project is doing, I apologize. But it sure sounds like beating up the instruments is part of the plan, and part of the show. Why else would you be looking for pictures? That's why I made the comment.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

My Ric isn't heavily worn yet, but it is getting used. With use comes wear. Check back in a few years. Its original owner doesn't seem to have done much with it between 1998 and when I got it last year. From the looks and feel of it, I played it more in six months than it got played in close to 15 years. It won't get deliberately bashed and damaged, though.
  5. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Where does he say that? It could just be he's in a band that is fairly active on stage or are playing rough venues.
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Get a P-bass.

Not only will it survive, but you can sell it for more once you're done.

JK!:D
  7. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

To clarify, it is not deliberate damage. The stage garb of said project is definitely going to scratch and wear it faster than I might like. High energy/aggressive show/music. I take care of all instruments and will not be damaging it intentionally, I simply fear it will be a symptom of said show.
  8. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Maybe it comes down to numbers... How much does the gig pay ? If you still get a healthy figure after outlay for the new Rick then definitely worth it, also you will always have a bass you are happy to play and worry less about at more adventurous gigs ;)
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Gotcha. That's plain old wear. I expect mine will suffer from some of that in time, although maybe not as fast.
  10. eukatheude

eukatheude

Might not be that. I used to play in a noise band in which i made sounds by jamming a screwdriver over the strings. The neck side has a few dings as a result, but they were never intentional.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, now WE'VE been told!
  12. BrianToska

BrianToska

Just from what I've learned on TB, aren't all Rics kind of beat?
  13. BrianToska

BrianToska

14. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

yes apparently the foreign copies are of better build quality, sound, parts, fit and finish than the real mccoy, for much less!!!!!

coming from my experience buyin a 2nd hand '09 4003 and owning it for a year i probably dont know what im talking about. ive done less work to the ric than ive had to do to ANY of the other basses ive owned.

i consider 'work' to be anything other than usual set-ups and neck tweaks throughout string changes, which for me are about every 2 months.

mines got some dings, but nothing that adds charm like youre going for. 10 years from now? who knows what itll look like haha.

cheers!
  15. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

So anyone got pics of distressed, worn, relic'd beaten or otherwise Rics? Seems to be a rare thing to see!
  16. BassTapp

BassTapp

Slightly road worn.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394863659.366832.jpg
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Can you show us on the diagram where the bad artist touched your bass?
  18. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

19. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I saw the VanHalen bassist (Mike Anthony) smash a Ric at a show. I was annoyed. I was in highschool and making monthly payments to pay off mine.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Beaten Rics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]