1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"beatle" strap vs regular strap for hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beatlefreek, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Beatlefreek

Beatlefreek

I just got a Hofner CT bass — in black! Very cool! And very solid feeling. It does not feel like a toy AT ALL!

In putting it on with a regular type guitar strap, however, I find the guitar has a slight tendency to roll forward.

I'm thinking that that's probably because of 1) where the strap buttons are located, and 2) the extreme light weight of the guitar itself.

So I'm wondering if a vintage "Beatle/Paul"-type strap — the kind that loops under the fretboard — would help eliminate this roll forward thing? I'm thinking that it would because the pivot point with the loop-style strap would be different (ie: more centered OVER the guitar) than the pivot point with the button-style strap (obviously, attaching BEHIND the guitar).

Has anyone had experience with either or?

thanks
  2. Osprey

Osprey

Interesting! I'd never heard of fixing a strap like that..in fact I think I've seen photos of Paul using a strap fixed to the far end of the neck..and had heard (perhaps wrongly) that it lead to problems with staying tuned.

Anyway..I don't have a violin bass but I have an Aria Sinsonido which I play without the alloy/foam "shapers", and when I first got it I remember feeling as you do, that because the instrument rolled forward a bit because of the button position it was a bit awkward to play. I must say I don't notice it now! But I experimented just now, and you could do the same easily. Having a loop of string beneath the strings as far up the neck as possible and tying the strap to that does indeed change the way the bass hangs. But it would have to be very thin..say strong fishing-line..if it were not to dampen the strings. Have a go..but in my view you'll soon get used to the strap on the button.
  3. Beatlefreek

Beatlefreek

Hmmm? Judging by your reply, I'm not sure if you're aware that there is a gap between the fretboard and the body of the Hofner, starting at about the 19th fret and continuing on to the neck pickup. That part of the fretboard does not lie flush with the body, it's suspended above it, like a violin would be. This gap is only on the German-made models and CT series. It is not on the (less expensive) Icon series.

McCartney — and anyone else who did/does not install a strap button at the neck heel — looped a strap through this gap. So, in fact the looped strap actually ties around the body of the guitar. Obviously you can't do this with a regular strap but a thin vintage-style strap. I can't see, and have never heard of, how that would have any bearing any the guitar staying in tune.

But I'm not trying to "do a McCartney" down to the strap he used. I'm only interested in a looped strap for balancing reasons. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy using a regular strap.
  4. stratovani

stratovani

5. Beatlefreek

Beatlefreek

Exactly! Thanks, stratovani.

But my question remains regarding the balancing issue. :bassist:
  6. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

I would also be interested in other suggestions. For one thing, I am guessing that the 60s style strap will probably mar the finish over time where it touches the bass when wrapped around the body. For the record, mine is a Contemporary Club.
  7. Jjango

Jjango

An acoustic guitar style strap would probably balance pretty well.

[​IMG]
  8. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Thank you for the suggestion, Jjango. I picked up an acoustic guitar strap (Amazon.com: Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Strap, Black Nylon: Musical Instruments), but instead of putting the lacing around the headstock behind the nut, I wrapped it under the neck pocket--classic Beatle Bass style. It works fine and the bass balances well that way. My only complaint about the Planet Waves strap in particular is that the shoulder pad and length adjustment buckle tend to move around a little too easily.
  9. tflemingo

tflemingo

I've used both types of strap on my 500/1 and the old school strap does NOT help the balance.
    Furthermore, you're right about the leather wrapped around the body under the neck rubbing the finish. But that's not the worse part - the other end of the strap is affixed by removing the strap button at the tailpiece and replacing it with this luggage strap technology which includes several metal parts which scrape against the wood and binding below the tailpiece.
    Is it worth the aesthetic? Up to you.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a LeCompte VB5 that has a similar issue, since the front strap button is at the 15th fret. I bought a wide, suede-backed strap and that took care of it nicely.
  11. DavyR

DavyR

I have a 5000/1 with the strap button in the back of the neck heel and the bass rolls forward, so, I know what you mean. I use the McCartney 'strap around the body and under the neck' setup to counter the forward roll. Since my 5000/1 is a new expensive bass I’m not too crazy about drilling another hole in the neck heel.

But, the best thing to do is to move the strap button from the back of the heel (if it’s already installed there) to the side of the heel as parallel as possible to the neck and slightly off center towards the player so the bass doesn’t hang forward. I have this setup on two old 500/1 basses and it works fine. (Both basses had strap buttons installed as such when I bought them. One was factory, btw!) Not sure if the weight of the body block in the CT will make a difference with this setup. You can test the location of where to drill the hole to some degree by holding a guitar strap at the drill point while the strap is connected to the tail of the bass and feel the balance.
  12. GM60466

GM60466

I had the old school strap. I didn't like it.
  13. music fun

music fun

I came to this thread just now, and the original poster has no doubt moved on. But I have that original Hofner strap. It came with my Ignition! Can't use it, obviously. If anyone is in the position of the original poster, and needs this strap for their 500/1 or Contemporary, let me know and I'll gladly send it to you for postage. Forty-eight bucks???? No way.
  14. music fun

music fun

Hi guys. I found someone close by to give this strap to.