Beats Headphones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Does anybody own a pair? They look cool, but I had no idea that they cost so much. I just want to know if they really deliver high quality sound.
  2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

all the rage with the kids these days...
  3. Simo98

Simo98

As far as I've been told they're over-priced and inferior in quality to other headphones in the same price range, but still a good set of cans. If you're going to spend the money you can probably get something better for the same price, or even less.

I've not tried them myself though. Maybe try to pick them up on sale or something.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The higher end stuff is ok, but you can do better for less IMO.

They are fashion, a big part of what you are paying for is the look and the name (again, IMO).

On saying that, I do have a pair of the lower end ones which came free with my phone. Though I'm not using those as the basis of comparison across the range.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I'll stick to my Sony and Sennheiser headphones.
  7. tomshad

tomshad

I own a pair. Really enjoy hearing better bass in them whether that is artificial or not. Good hearing drum decays too.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

They suck, $70 Grados sound better all day long.

lowsound
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

They suck. All they do is have majorly goosed up bass and not in any pleasant way, either.

They're also aggressive to listen to. I much *much* prefer the good ol' Koss PortaPros. A laid back presentation with plenty of bass and a nice warm, organic sound... at a fraction of the cost.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Only because it's a status symbol. They're needlessly expensive, so owning a pair makes you look cool/full of cash. Essentially, they're bling-bling.

At my school, it was wearing clothes made from this or that company that made you cool in the eyes of others. Midway through the semester, everybody would be wearing the same brand and another one would be deemed cool, so everybody'd have to buy new clothes.

Today, it's headphones and smartphones.
  11. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

My thoughts exactly. The only way I'd obtain a pair is if they were bundled with a computer/phone.
  12. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Friend lent me his pair for a week. The only benefit I saw was that at normal listening volume or lower, which 99% of their owners will never utilize, they were pretty clear with a decent wide stereo spectrum, an area that cheaper headphones usually lose ground. Yes, they can seriously bump your eardrums at what the average beats listener prescribes (I see/hear them on airplanes all the time, so that's my control group) but honestly it's a future nation of....."Huh, did you say something?"
  13. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    Sony and Sennheiser eats Beats to breakfast.
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Fo Su
  15. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Maybe if beats were all I ever wanted to listen to, but I enjoy songs.
  16. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

+1000 And I've never even tried Beats. But from what I've heard, I tend to agree with everyone here: overpriced, overhyped.

I can attest to Grado cans though...I've had my pair of SR-80s for a while now and they're probably the greatest headphones I've ever owned. Aside from them being "open" style, meaning the sound leaks to someone sitting next to you, I love everything about them. Then again, changing the open design would probably change the headphones entirely huh...
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

My singer has some. They're okay, but for the price you can do a lot better. And just personally, I thought his Beats were in no way superior to the cheap $25 Sony ear buds that I bought a few years back and still have.
  18. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Nice but not worth it. SLIGHTLY better than 10$ skull candys
  19. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Truth, truth, truth. It's stupid how many people at my school have some form of Beats headphones... then again I shudder to imagine what these people are listening to.

Grados are awesome. +1

PortaPros are fantastic, and also what I use on the go (actually SportaPro frame with PortaPro drivers in them). It's funny how of the three pairs of cans I own, these are the smallest, lightest, and the ones with the best bass response.

--Silvie
  20. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

A friend in one of my classes has a pair of Beats and I have a pair of Skullcandy Skullcrushers. We both A/B'ed them and came to the agreement that compared to another classmates Sony headset, they both equally suck.

But Skullcandy headsets are pretty :p
  21. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Haha! I was about to add that Skullcandy pieces really aren't that great, either. Both brands seem to have AMAZING marketing teams working behind them to make people hear quality that really isn't there.